Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Switching ISP/Broadband Plans

Sync speed is referring to the actual connected speed between your Modem and the exchange (or cabinet), usually you can log onto the modem/router and find this info, along with SNR and loss figures (all good to know in these cases). On a good connection these should stay fairly constant, if they change much it could indicate a line fault or something.

Speed test on the other hand measures the throughput and as mentioned can vary a lot during the day, congestion can be a big factor if the equipment you are connected to doesn't have a fast enough connection back into the "cloud"

And no those poles should not cause you any trouble. It's a common misconception to assume the big obvious thing is radiating a lot of interference/radiation etc but in fact the power is much lower by the time it reaches you than many (actually pretty much all) normal household appliances. The phone itself for eg is a much higher level of RF radiation and you put that next to your head......

An Ironic thought, schools regularly object to nearby cell towers on health and safety grounds while happily using flourescent lighting which radiates much more RF on the students. It's all about the inverse square law, radiation dimishes rapidly with distance.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Sounds like you should login to your router EmoCat and post the ADSL Line Details (We're after Sync speed, SNR / Noise Margin, Attenuation) as dugimodo mentioned.
    Turning off Interleaving if you already have issues with packet loss *may* not be the best thing you can do, that's the only thing ...

dugimodo, you can usually tell if interleaving is on or not in your router. For example, my AM300 will state "Interleaved" or "FAST", depending on if it's on or not.

By and large, speed tests to NZ speedtest servers ought to be your max line speed at any given point in time. If it's not, it's worth taking up with your ISP, but only *after* you've done 100% everything possible to rule out your own equipment / setup / wiring as an influence.

What's the game that you play?
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

At work at the moment, but will post the sync speed when i get home ! Thanks for all the help anyway, i'll look into this interleaving thing. Most of the time i dont have Packet Loss, but theres always that rare occasion where it may happen.
    There is no keyboard connected to this computer. Press any key to continue.

Agreed. Keep away from Vodafone.

We don't want no more stinkin' gamers sucking up our precious bandwidth

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Haha. Gaming generally speaking uses less bandwidth than browsing these days
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Really??

Facebook is a killer. My parents 24/7 CityVille on Facebook. That just kills Bandwidth..Bandwidth i could use for the youtubez..which is even worse. On the bright side i do have 80GB to waste every month. People i know over in Australia have 200GB and still get capped. Unbelievable.

Edit: Awwwh but i was so tempted to move to Vodafone...*Vomit*. Friends are with Vodafone and the internet is horrible

Ssshhh..........

I am with VF (ex Ihug) and constantly get 15Mbps, but don't tell anyone 'cos they may want to jump over

Oh, and I have no breakdowns, losses etc etc

Regarding Speed -- normally I find depending on where you do the test to <>from results can change a lot in NZ.

Thats why I use http://www.ozspeedtest.com/ Seems to be quite accurate, and usually stable. I use either the 9MB or 15MB test.

My Max Line speed ( currently - increasing that soon) is 15Mbps

Just did a test from that site -- Doing the same test Via speed test, it only got to 7Mbps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Test.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	17.5 KB 
ID:	3410

I'll check that out too, wainuitech. Still got 2-3 hours left at work then i'll check out the Sync Speed. I'll post it here ASAP and i'll check-back tomorrow morning. Going out for a bit..been a tough week me thinks.