Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: Switching ISP/Broadband Plans

Quote Originally Posted by EmoCat View Post
    Not to be offensive but i did say that i am a competitive gamer. If i am reading this correctly then Telecom will give me faster internet overall. 80-90 ping over 30-50? I think i know which one i'd prefer. Ofcourse Telstra has the higher GB, but i have never gone over 70GB so i wouldnt need 100GB (Unless i were to start recording via Fraps).
    You cannot assume that the ping that one person gets on TelstraClear in one area will be replicated in another. I just checked mine on TC in North Canterbury, and at 9.19am it was 58. However, when the squiddlies come home from school, the internet experience in North Canterbury with TC is much worse. It is publicly known that TC has been providing crap service in North Canterbury for months, and they have acknowledged this, and claim they are taking steps to fix it. However, months after acknowledging this, there is no observable progress - who knows, perhaps the problem is with their wholesaler Telescum?

My point is that you aren't likely to get many useful answers from this forum about the kind of service TC or other ISPs could provide in your area - first, different times of the day can give vastly different results; secondly, you need to ask around your locality to find out what other people are getting (e.g. it isn't much use to you finding out about the North Canterbury experience if you are living in Waitakere right next door to the exchange). Giving your location as PressF1 Forums doesn't help forum members from your area giving you the benefit of their advice either.

I dont mind posting some information just here. Not like any of you guys are gonna come here and murder me. I know how to defend myself pretty damn well if it were to happen anyway.

Router: Belkin N600 ADSL2+ 802.11 a/b/g/n Dual-Band Router
    Sync Speed? Not sure what that is but have 10-12Mbps Download and 0.50 Upload.
    Street = Heron Ave East, Matua, Tauranga.

As for the "outdated server", i went through the telecom server room(s) and they said themselves that they were outdated back to the early 2000s. Whether or not those are still in use, or they're using newer technology..i honestly dont know.
    There is no keyboard connected to this computer. Press any key to continue.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    My point is that you aren't likely to get many useful answers from this forum about the kind of service TC or other ISPs could provide in your area - first, different times of the day can give vastly different results; secondly, you need to ask around your locality to find out what other people are getting (e.g. it isn't much use to you finding out about the North Canterbury experience if you are living in Waitakere right next door to the exchange). Giving your location as PressF1 Forums doesn't help forum members from your area giving you the benefit of their advice either.
    Well said!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Im knowledgable with all the networking side of things..except the internet and ISP's !

Yes but that's for the phone switching equipment. The equipment they've been using in their exchanges / cabinets has been upgraded every 2 years over the last 11 years since NZ launched "Jetstream" ADSL back in 2000, basically one of the earlier adopting countries.

That, and they don't have "servers" as such, mostly just switching equipment / DSLAMs.

The Belkin N600 isn't *bad*, they're not great. You may get slightly lower pings / better results with something else. Your sync speeds are indicative you're on a decent ADSL2+ connection. Basically, ask them nicely to turn off interleaving as your first point of call, and then go from there.

Sadly the Telecome Wholesale Broadband Maps site appears to have been down / relocated, so I'll track that down and look into the cabinets in your areas etc, but it looks promising if you're getting 12mbps+...
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:

Im knowledgable with all the networking side of things..except the internet and ISP's !
    That's alright, we all have to start somewhere Nothing wrong with asking / learning

12Mbps Maximum. Wont go any higher. Damn, why didnt i join PCWorld PressF1 a while ago? This help is amazing

Not to be offensive but i did say that i am a competitive gamer. If i am reading this correctly then Telecom will give me faster internet overall. 80-90 ping over 30-50? I think i know which one i'd prefer. Ofcourse Telstra has the higher GB, but i have never gone over 70GB so i wouldn't need 100GB (Unless i were to start recording via Fraps).
    No offence taken

As its been mentioned by others, there are a lot of different reason why you can get different results. Changing hardware, changing setting, time of day (school holidays are murder on speed as well as late afternoons and early evenings) at the end of the day its all still coming down the same line, so for example if there were a line problem between your house and the pole, changing ISP's wouldn't do any thing.

I 2nd the interleaving suggesting, makes me think I should check mine. Any way to tell other than asking my ISP?
    I had the Idea from somewhere than Telecom's pricier plans had it off by default.

Google "leatrix latency fix" and have a read. It may help you, basically chopped my WoW ping in half. I'd link it but I can't get to the website from work. And I really mean in half, my ping was regularly in the 400-500 range and it dropped to around 200-250. Since then it has further improved to around 150-200 but I don't know why(although at times it still gets up over 200).

Put simply it's a registry setting that makes windows respond to every packet instead of waiting for pairs first. Definately works in WoW and should theoretically help in any TCP/IP based game.
    It isn't the best for windows networking supposedly, but I've noticed no negative impact. Worth a try and easily reversed if it doesn't help.
    Ryzen 2700X, 16Gb DDR4RAM, 512GB M.2 NVME SSD, MSI GTX1070

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    No offence taken

As its been mentioned by others, there are a lot of different reason why you can get different results. Changing hardware, changing setting, time of day (school holidays are murder on speed as well as late afternoons and early evenings) at the end of the day its all still coming down the same line, so for example if there were a line problem between your house and the pole, changing ISP's wouldn't do any thing.
    Yeah, it could be where i live. I'm nowhere near the actual server, and theres poles everywhere..mainly for the XT network. Could those be causing interferance at all? At times when i do a speedtest i get under 1Mbps Download and usual ADSL2+ Upload. Did a pingtest last night and had 7% packet loss! Kept refreshing the pingtest, went from 7% to 5% to 3% to 0%. Hope some of that last information helps !