Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Switching ISP/Broadband Plans

Sooo im fed up with Telecom and their outdated servers (Tauranga) and im thinking of switching ISP. I'm a competitive gamer and i need fast broadband. I've been looking at TelstraClear (ON3Network) however i dont know what plans they can offer. I'm currently paying $90-ish for 80GB with Telecom and + Something else for the phoneline. Not moving to Vodafone, friends have had bad experiences with them. Not Slingshot..slowest internet in NZ.

Who should I be going with? Stay with Telecom or move to Telstra Clear?
    There is no keyboard connected to this computer. Press any key to continue.

Default Re: Switching ISP/Broadband Plans

Telstra call it PDQ ( ADSL) -- have a look at their packageshttp://www.telstraclear.co.nz/reside.../broadband.cfm.

Easiest way to make sure - phone them and ask because the packages come with a phone line as well. If looking at the youir current $90 ish @ 80GB, for $65 you get $100GB

^^ That $65 is on top of the call plans, Call Local w/bb, Call NZ w/bb, etc. We're paying around $115 a month for Call local + 40gb + caller display.

I get pretty rubbish pings (compared to most other players) on Counter-strike source- on the Oz DTK servers around 80-90. Local ones, maybe lucky to get 65-70.

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade View Post
    ^^ That $65 is on top of the call plans, Call Local w/bb, Call NZ w/bb, etc. We're paying around $115 a month for Call local + 40gb + caller display.

I get pretty rubbish pings (compared to most other players) on Counter-strike source- on the Oz DTK servers around 80-90. Local ones, maybe lucky to get 65-70.
    If I read the original post correctly, and many people dont even bother to read everything
    I'm currently paying $90-ish for 80GB with Telecom and + Something else for the phoneline.
    The price and link I posted says $65 for Broadband @ 100GB.
    Looking at my Telstra Cable Invoice, the line rental is $39.94 for the 1st line (we got two lines)

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    If I read the original post correctly, and many people dont even bother to read everything The price and link I posted says $65 for Broadband @ 100GB.
    Looking at my Telstra Cable Invoice, the line rental is $39.94 for the 1st line (we got two lines)
    Not to be offensive but i did say that i am a competitive gamer. If i am reading this correctly then Telecom will give me faster internet overall. 80-90 ping over 30-50? I think i know which one i'd prefer. Ofcourse Telstra has the higher GB, but i have never gone over 70GB so i wouldnt need 100GB (Unless i were to start recording via Fraps).

Quote Originally Posted by EmoCat View Post
    Not to be offensive but i did say that i am a competitive gamer. If i am reading this correctly then Telecom will give me faster internet overall. 80-90 ping over 30-50? I think i know which one i'd prefer. Ofcourse Telstra has the higher GB, but i have never gone over 70GB so i wouldnt need 100GB (Unless i were to start recording via Fraps).
    You cannot assume that the ping that one person gets on TelstraClear in one area will be replicated in another. I just checked mine on TC in North Canterbury, and at 9.19am it was 58. However, when the squiddlies come home from school, the internet experience in North Canterbury with TC is much worse. It is publicly known that TC has been providing crap service in North Canterbury for months, and they have acknowledged this, and claim they are taking steps to fix it. However, months after acknowledging this, there is no observable progress - who knows, perhaps the problem is with their wholesaler Telescum?

My point is that you aren't likely to get many useful answers from this forum about the kind of service TC or other ISPs could provide in your area - first, different times of the day can give vastly different results; secondly, you need to ask around your locality to find out what other people are getting (e.g. it isn't much use to you finding out about the North Canterbury experience if you are living in Waitakere right next door to the exchange). Giving your location as PressF1 Forums doesn't help forum members from your area giving you the benefit of their advice either.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    My point is that you aren't likely to get many useful answers from this forum about the kind of service TC or other ISPs could provide in your area - first, different times of the day can give vastly different results; secondly, you need to ask around your locality to find out what other people are getting (e.g. it isn't much use to you finding out about the North Canterbury experience if you are living in Waitakere right next door to the exchange). Giving your location as PressF1 Forums doesn't help forum members from your area giving you the benefit of their advice either.
    Well said!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by EmoCat View Post
    Not to be offensive but i did say that i am a competitive gamer. If i am reading this correctly then Telecom will give me faster internet overall. 80-90 ping over 30-50? I think i know which one i'd prefer. Ofcourse Telstra has the higher GB, but i have never gone over 70GB so i wouldn't need 100GB (Unless i were to start recording via Fraps).
    No offence taken

As its been mentioned by others, there are a lot of different reason why you can get different results. Changing hardware, changing setting, time of day (school holidays are murder on speed as well as late afternoons and early evenings) at the end of the day its all still coming down the same line, so for example if there were a line problem between your house and the pole, changing ISP's wouldn't do any thing.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    No offence taken

As its been mentioned by others, there are a lot of different reason why you can get different results. Changing hardware, changing setting, time of day (school holidays are murder on speed as well as late afternoons and early evenings) at the end of the day its all still coming down the same line, so for example if there were a line problem between your house and the pole, changing ISP's wouldn't do any thing.
    Yeah, it could be where i live. I'm nowhere near the actual server, and theres poles everywhere..mainly for the XT network. Could those be causing interferance at all? At times when i do a speedtest i get under 1Mbps Download and usual ADSL2+ Upload. Did a pingtest last night and had 7% packet loss! Kept refreshing the pingtest, went from 7% to 5% to 3% to 0%. Hope some of that last information helps !

Rubbish pings? Oh dear, im staying with Telecom. In CSS with a bad PC i get 30-50 ping and over 100FPS on Local/Aus servers.