Page 1 of 10 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of jobs??

Default Lack of jobs??

John Keys keeps on saying that National are going to create new jobs. He just doesn't understand that there are plenty of jobs. The problem is that there are no skilled tradesmen to fill the jobs. The education system is still where it was 60 years ago when schools only had to produce University fodder and laborers. We also have an Intermediate school which serves no purpose.

What you need is Primary school where the kids learn to read and write, basic mathematics, computer skills etc. This would be followed by Intermediate school which would carry out aptitude tests, also life skills such as the Law, budgeting, Insurance, Bank accounts, Health including sex. Secondary school would cater for the students preparing for University, and supplementary classes for the others. There would be Trade Schools which these 'other' students would attend. The end result would be youngsters with life skills, and trade skills, who would be of value to the greater industry.

As it is, employers are faced with a mass of youth who don't know what they want to do, and can't manage their own affairs let alone someone elses.

The other thing that comes to mind is that there are 100's of old codgers like myself who have a vast amount of experience which go up in smoke with us. There must be a way for us to impart our knowledge to the younger generation. A lot of us would do it for very little remuneration, just to feel that we were useful and something to do.

Even Phil Goff says that something has to be done about Trade schools.

Old guy

Default Re: Lack of jobs??

Well put!

Nelson Boys are building a Trade school as we speak and the other Nelson area schools are jointly building one soon. I have had to quit my trade and been at home since last November while undergoing surgery and recuperation. I will be returning to the work force in the new year if I can find a job. Over the last year I could have passed on some of my trade skills but no one would employ me to do that not even part time. So while I have been at home frustrated I have been teaching myself new skills ready for next year

Apprenticeships and trade schools are all very well, but an employer also has to have enough work (and profit margin in that work) to take on apprentices - employers aren't charities.

At the moment the whole country is in a bit of a "Hmm, might just wait a few months before I do that project..." frame of mind.

If no-one is spending on services, then that shows there is a shortage of work. If there's a shortage of work, employers can't afford or justify taking on new bodies. If new bodies aren't being taken on in the work-force, then less money is being earned, therefore less money can be spent.

Vicious circle....

You can't put the cart before the horse, but in this case the cart and the horse are indistinguishable from one another...

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Lack of jobs??
    Yes, Steve died.

[QUOTE=mzee;1060813 He just doesn't understand that there are plenty of jobs. [/QUOTE]
    Oh really. All the ones, including contracts I went for had 100's of applicants. Likewise trades, husband gets rung all the time by people wanting work. Hell, I've been aksed by those who still think I work for myself. Supermarkets advertise 250 and get 1000's of applicants.
    wipe your paws.

Some excellent ideas, but going by your post I take it that you mean students are required to pick whether they want to either attend University or pursue a trade at the beginning of year 9?

I imagine a Trade School would also have minimum education requirement. The 3Rs come to mind. In every trade there is the need to understand the intricacies of each trade.

In my case it was Electrical. Once I had got the apprenticeship I had to do a 6 month "Pre Apprenticeship Course" in the 3Rs, slanted at electrical aptitude. If you could not pass this exam the apprenticeship was defunct. If you could not read, write & add up then how could you learn a trade. Any trade then & now needs these requirements.

Not how to use a computer, Ipod & the like. Just basic brainpower. Yes you will need School Time at Tech, but mainly on the job real training. It worked for me. It takes time on the job, mechanical aptitude, physical ability, real work. In my time I had apprentices working with me. In the main they were all willing to learn, the good stuff & the crap. You always got the 'knowitalls' of course, who thought they were above all the menial tasks that apprentices get to do, the ones who are brilliant at schoolwork & know more than the tradesman. Any tradesman knows what I mean. On two occasions I sent two knowalls back to the shop & refused to have them. Then there are the ones who are less 'brilliant' but are very able & practical. These I gave extra attention to.

It is firms & tradesmen who 'Grow' other tradesman, but in these uncertain times, who would risk taking on an apprentice. If the retirement age does go up, will that mean Older Tradesmen will stay at work & 'struggle' on denying possible apprentices a place?

In my opinion the majority of school leavers are doomed to be unemployed. I don't know here thes 'Thousands of Jobs" that politicans keep spouting about, are hiding.

Rant over. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Quote Originally Posted by darkstar09 View Post
    Some excellent ideas, but going by your post I take it that you mean students are required to pick whether they want to either attend University or pursue a trade at the beginning of year 9?
    Every student has "An Ability", but at what. There are those whose apitude is Trade & those whose aptitude is Higher Education in something. In my opinion that "Something" needs to be of use. Please tell me what an "Arts Degree" is for. There will always be a need for ManualWokers, tradesmen & skilled labourers. I mean, how many brain surgeons do we need? We probably have some of these from overseas here now driving taxis!!

Aptitude used to be assessed with the dreaded Examinations. 11+ & 13+ Exam tendedto determine the life path you took. Can anyone say in all honesty yhat all the Students at NZ Universtities intelectually qualify to be there? Yes I agree tha any child in NZ should be given the chance of a quality education & job. Not just an excuse for a student loan. PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

When I was in business we trained our own staff. All the good ones were high school drop-outs condemned by their "careers adviser" to "a life on the Dole". I had big rows with them for their negative attitudes. I have yet to find a young person who is not good at anything. Just got to find out what they are good at and develop it.

On another tack, a thing that really annoys me is the advert that offers the minimum wage then goes on to say "must be experienced"!!
    How the hell is anyone going to become experienced if they can't get a job? The experienced one wouldn't work for the minimum wage anyway!
    Greedy employers wanting cheap labour and too lazy to train them!
    Last edited by mzee; 17-11-2011 at 07:24 PM.