Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Consumer Guarantees Act and Batteries

I bought my laptop in July 2009 and in July 2010 I had the battery replaced by HP because it was dieing within 20min. Now I am facing the same issue accompanied by error messages whenever I turn it on and a red cross while charging and discharging the battery in the dock with the message "Consider replacing your battery". So I called the extended warranty company, only for them to inform me that batteries are not covered by the Super Cover warranty. So before I go in and ask, will I be covered by the CGA? What is the average life expectancy for a laptop battery? Longer than 15 months?

Computer Tech

Default Re: Consumer Guarantees Act and Batteries

Do you run the battery down and charge it up regularly?
    Or do you have the laptop on charge all the time?

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    Do you run the battery down and charge it up regularly?
    Or do you have the laptop on charge all the time?
    Bit of a mix. It's plugged in probably 75% of the time?

Mine has lasted only 20mins a year after I purchased it... Its plugged in most of the time now, use to be unplugged before it started lasting only 20mins.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Batteries usually have a warranty of 6 months. Most batteries in my experience for the likes of laptops and things lasts around 12-18 months still holding a "good" charge.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

I got my laptop nearly a year ago. I kept it at 40% charge and removed it from laptop when not in use (which is 99% of the time). When I take my laptop to work, I plug the battery in and fully charge it. I researched battery care and took care of it.

Right now, if I pull the plug I will get about 10-15 minutes before it shuts down.

So yes your experience is about normal !

Computer Tech

All I can say is that you need to regularly run the battery totally flat and then charge it up again at least once a week.
    If you don't do this then the battery life is shortened dramatically.
    If you have the laptop plugged in all the time then I would even suggest removing the battery.
    My wife's got an Acer laptop that is over 6 years old now and the battery still lasts almost 3 hours because it is used on battery, until it is flat, pretty much every day and then charged up overnight.
    On the other side of the coin, my own Acer laptop's battery died because I had it sitting on the docking station all the time and hardly ever used the battery.

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    All I can say is that you need to regularly run the battery totally flat and then charge it up again at least once a week.
    If you don't do this then the battery life is shortened dramatically.
    If you have the laptop plugged in all the time then I would even suggest removing the battery.
    My wife's got an Acer laptop that is over 6 years old now and the battery still lasts almost 3 hours because it is used on battery, until it is flat, pretty much every day and then charged up overnight.
    On the other side of the coin, my own Acer laptop's battery died because I had it sitting on the docking station all the time and hardly ever used the battery.
    I used to do that with my old battery (Running it down almost daily). Interestingly I had the same issue. Well I called Noel Leeming and as a battery is classified as an accessory, it isn't covered by CGA. I called up HP only to be told I'm looking at a $170 cost for a replacement battery. Are there any places around which sell batteries cheaper?

laptopbattery.co.nz

I would contest that. A laptop battery being considered an 'accessory' ? That's not right!

Take it to HP plonk it on their desk then say "right, well I'll just remove any 'accessories' (remove the battery) then try and turn it on.... as it wont turn on without a battery (power) the laptop will not work. The definition of an accessory is that it 'adds to' the functionality of the product - the product must thus work without the accessory.

Note: they may say to plug the power cord in... however that would also be classed as an accessory... if the battery works WHICH IS PART OF THE LAPTOP the laptop will work. Remove the 'accessory' (mains power) the laptop should continue to work.

A little disjointed, but I hope it makes sense!
    Last edited by Disco_Dan; 20-10-2011 at 11:01 AM.