Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Vista Blank Screen - mouse OK

I have 2 Vista machine that have blank screens but the mouse shows and moves around.

Have done a restore back a week and everything works OK and then after a reboot (after some Windows Updates) the same thing happens.

About to restore back a month or 2 and see what happens but wondered if this is a newer bug/virus that I haven't come across before.

Just seems strange I have 2 at once with the same issue.

Default Re: Vista Blank Screen - mouse OK

If a restore fixes the problems,then happens again after doing updates -- get it going, then manually do the update -- check what is being installed, write down the KB numbers.

Untick everything except the first one, install it and see what happens, Repeat --- sooner or later the update that is causing the problem will show .. what is the KB number of it ??

Knowing which update is causing the problem will be a big help.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

At what point does the screen go blank ?

I.e, Normally a computer would boot, go through a POST screen, then go to an OS loading screen, then a login screen.

At which point does the screen go blank ?

Will check the updates and do one at a time.

I thought it was the graphic card in one of them as the fan had stopped going and was getting hot. Replaced the card and same thing.

Boots fine, can select either normal or safe mode, starts to load windows then screen goes blank when Desktop or logon screen should show with mouse working.

Mine did that too after a recent update. I just left it a few minutes and it then continued to load normally.

Thanks but I have left it for 1/2 hour and longer and does nothing. No hard drive activity either.

OK have just done a repair install for the XX time and it reports Bad Driver. When I allow Vista repair to do an automatic restore it load windows OK and wants to restart. I turn off auto updates and do a manual restart and it still installs the updates and after a restart back to a blank screen.

I am now restoring back a couple of months and slowly updating.

I can see a format coming

Quote Originally Posted by berryb View Post
    I have 2 Vista machine that have blank screens but the mouse shows and moves around.
    I had this issue (have since never used vista). I would personally get rid of vista if you can, and put Windows 7 on it, which is far more stable, and you won't get any issues like this at all.

What is your computer (if a store bought one), and what is it's specs, as this might help.
    PC: Intel® Core™ i5-650 3.20 GHz | Intel® Desktop Board DQ57TM | 8GB DDR3 RAM | Radeon HD 4870 | Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

OK one Vista laptop was formatted as no restore points and nothing else worked.

Other one mentioned in other posts was restored back a couple of months and had the graphic card replaced. Fan on the old card wasn't spinning so was getting very hot. At this stage I have updates off and it's working fine so there is a conflict with an update as well. Will leave for a while and see how it goes and update one at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by goodiesguy View Post
    I had this issue (have since never used vista). I would personally get rid of vista if you can, and put Windows 7 on it, which is far more stable, and you won't get any issues like this at all.
    How exactly does this help the OP? Or other posters who have the same issue and might be reading this forum

Sometimes, budget/hardware or impracticality do not allow for a new OS to be installed.

OP: just follow as per wainuitechs instructions. Definitely an update issue somewhere.
    Question - are you updating just the OS? or drivers as well?
    (morganj): 0 is false and 1 is true, correct?
    (alec_eso): 1, morganj