Default Upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista - can directory windows.old be deleted?

Recently upgraded a Compaq Presario V6500 from Vista to Windows 7. A directory c:/windows.old was created - can I delete this directory completely? It is about 500MB and holds a lot of duplicated programs etc - added hours to the full virus scan using MS Essentials.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Older by the minute

Default Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista - can directory windows.old be deleted?

It is a copy of the original Windows installation. It does have a lot of non-windows files that you might find useful and can copy over to the new installation.

However if there is nothing there that you want to keep, yes you can delete Windows.old. Just remember that once it has gone, it's gone.

Check and see what you can copy over first.

Default Re: Upgrade to Windows 7 from Vista - can directory windows.old be deleted?

i'd copy it to a flash drive or such, just to have
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

I've deleted all the duplicated programs - will copy remaining files to flash.

Ta