Default laptop suddenly playing up

My friend just dropped her laptop around here cause its suddenly lost wireless, and also all the icons disappeared off the desktop. She was sitting looking at her screen and got a message saying the wireless is now turned off - she had been on the net right then, then she noticed all the icons disappeared. I've restarted her laptop about 5 times, one of those times the icons reappeared, but the wireless keeps telling me it is not turned on. The Function+F2 to turn on the wireless doesn't work while windows is running. WHile the laptop is booting I can press it and the wireless light turns on, but makes no difference once Windows has finished loading.

Laptop is an Asus PR055(?) if that means anything
    Windows Vista

I don't know much more about it.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,
    Mike.
    what are you doing looking in here?

Wanderer

Default Re: laptop suddenly playing up

recovery image/CD? then it's kapuf IMO ....

do a system check also with the laptop's diagnostic software like booting up with DVD/CD. had that with my laptop, bad HD - the soundcard didn't work and now it does with a new HD.

Sounds like she has possibly suffered a driveby download (rogue antispyware/scareware or similar), which has turned off various programs and drivers to stop you removing it.
    Try starting in safe mode including networking (press f8 while booting, and select it from the menu), then download/run Hijackthis, and copy/paste the scan result into your next post so we can advise further.

Could also be harddrive data corruption, as Nomad said. Try doing a chkdsk.
    Last edited by feersumendjinn; 18-11-2011 at 06:42 PM.
    "...anyone who expects a source of power from the transformation
    of these atoms is talking moonshine..."
    - Ernest Rutherford (1871-1937)

--------------------------
    "After your hands become coated with grease, your nose will begin to itch."

I've done a bit of playing around, turning off services/startup apps etc. It seems there is one service that is causing both problems (the wireless and the desktop icons). If I turn the service off and restart the icons appear and the Fn+F2 to turn on wireless seems to work (the light on the front of laptop goes off/on), however this service seems to be related to the wireless, so it still doesn't work. When the service is running there's an icon in system tray for wireless (not the typical windows icon though - this ones a blue aerial type thing with circles coming out from it) and when you double click on the icon it pops up a window for a short time that says Wireless Off.

I'll connect the laptop via ethernet now and get the hijackthis done.

Cheers,
    Mike.

I've turned all the services and startup apps back on and run Hijackthis. Here's the log:
    Code:
    Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
    Scan saved at 12:05:09 PM, on 11/19/2011
    Platform: Windows Vista SP2 (WinNT 6.00.1906)
    MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.19154)
    Boot mode: Normal
    Running processes:
    C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
    C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
    C:\Program Files\tcnz\McciTrayApp.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\MOM.exe
    C:\Program Files\ASUS\ASUS Live Update\ALU.exe
    C:\Program Files\ASUS\SmartLogon\sensorsrv.exe
    C:\Windows\RtHDVCpl.exe
    C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe
    C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
    C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\CLMLSvc.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\SupportAppXL\AutoDect.exe
    C:\Program Files\ASUS\ATK Media\DMedia.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\ASUSTPE.exe
    C:\Windows\ASScrPro.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe
    C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehtray.exe
    C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\wmpnscfg.exe
    C:\Windows\ehome\ehmsas.exe
    C:\Windows\System32\mobsync.exe
    C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CCC.exe
    C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPHelper.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\SearchFilterHost.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbarUser_32.exe
    C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Shared\SkypeNames2.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\Macromed\Flash\FlashUtil10l_ActiveX.exe
    C:\Windows\system32\SearchProtocolHost.exe
    C:\Program Files\hjt\Trend Micro\HiJackThis\HiJackThis.exe
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Start Page = http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=hp
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Default_Search_URL = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R1 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Main,Search Page = http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=54896
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,SearchAssistant = 
    R0 - HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Search,CustomizeSearch = 
    R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = *.local
    R0 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Toolbar,LinksFolderName = 
    O1 - Hosts: ::1 localhost
    O2 - BHO: AcroIEHelperStub - {18DF081C-E8AD-4283-A596-FA578C2EBDC3} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Acrobat\ActiveX\AcroIEHelperShim.dll
    O2 - BHO: (no name) - {5C255C8A-E604-49b4-9D64-90988571CECB} - (no file)
    O2 - BHO: Windows Live ID Sign-in Helper - {9030D464-4C02-4ABF-8ECC-5164760863C6} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live\WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Helper - {AA58ED58-01DD-4d91-8333-CF10577473F7} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
    O2 - BHO: SkypeIEPluginBHO - {AE805869-2E5C-4ED4-8F7B-F1F7851A4497} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
    O2 - BHO: Google Toolbar Notifier BHO - {AF69DE43-7D58-4638-B6FA-CE66B5AD205D} - C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\5.7.7018.1622\swg.dll
    O3 - Toolbar: Google Toolbar - {2318C2B1-4965-11d4-9B18-009027A5CD4F} - C:\Program Files\Google\Google Toolbar\GoogleToolbar_32.dll
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [tcnz_McciTrayApp] "C:\Program Files\tcnz\McciTrayApp.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Mobile-based device management] %windir%\WindowsMobile\wmdSync.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SynTPEnh] C:\Program Files\Synaptics\SynTP\SynTPEnh.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Skytel] Skytel.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RtHDVCpl] RtHDVCpl.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [P2Go_Menu] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\MUITransfer\MUIStartMenu.exe" "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go" UpdateWithCreateOnce "SOFTWARE\CyberLink\Power2Go\6.0"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MSC] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Security Client\msseces.exe" -hide -runkey
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] "C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [CLMLServer] "C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Power2Go\CLMLSvc.exe"
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [autodetect] C:\Windows\system32\SupportAppXL\AutoDect.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ATKMEDIA] C:\Program Files\ASUS\ATK Media\DMedia.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ASUSTPE] C:\Windows\system32\ASUSTPE.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ASUS Screen Saver Protector] C:\Windows\ASScrPro.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ASUS Camera ScreenSaver] C:\Windows\AsScrProlog.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AppleSyncNotifier] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleSyncNotifier.exe
    O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Adobe ARM] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\AdobeARM.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [swg] "C:\Program Files\Google\GoogleToolbarNotifier\GoogleToolbarNotifier.exe"
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [msnmsgr] "C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Messenger\msnmsgr.exe" /background
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LightScribe Control Panel] C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Google Update] "C:\Users\Trista\AppData\Local\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe" /c
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [ehTray.exe] C:\Windows\ehome\ehTray.exe
    O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [WMPNSCFG] C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\WMPNSCFG.exe
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-19\..\Run: [WindowsWelcomeCenter] rundll32.exe oobefldr.dll,ShowWelcomeCenter (User 'LOCAL SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-20\..\Run: [Sidebar] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Sidebar\Sidebar.exe /detectMem (User 'NETWORK SERVICE')
    O4 - HKUS\S-1-5-18\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'SYSTEM')
    O4 - HKUS\.DEFAULT\..\Run: [Sidebar] C:\Program Files\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe /autoRun (User 'Default user')
    O8 - Extra context menu item: Add to Google Photos Screensa&ver - res://C:\Windows\system32\GPhotos.scr/200
    O8 - Extra context menu item: E&xport to Microsoft Excel - res://C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE/3000
    O9 - Extra button: Blog This - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: &Blog This in Windows Live Writer - {219C3416-8CB2-491a-A3C7-D9FCDDC9D600} - C:\Program Files\Windows Live\Writer\WriterBrowserExtension.dll
    O9 - Extra button: PokerStars - {3AD14F0C-ED16-4e43-B6D8-661B03F6A1EF} - C:\Program Files\PokerStars\PokerStarsUpdate.exe
    O9 - Extra button: Skype add-on for Internet Explorer - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
    O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Skype add-on for Internet Explorer - {898EA8C8-E7FF-479B-8935-AEC46303B9E5} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
    O9 - Extra button: Research - {92780B25-18CC-41C8-B9BE-3C9C571A8263} - C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~2\OFFICE11\REFIEBAR.DLL
    O16 - DPF: {0D41B8C5-2599-4893-8183-00195EC8D5F9} (asusTek_sysctrl Class) - http://support.asus.com/select/asusTek_sys_ctrl3.cab
    O16 - DPF: {7206EAAC-5CFA-43A3-9F61-E27E8E51E42F} (laiExcuter Class) - http://turner1.turners.liveblockauct...ab?rand=431485
    O16 - DPF: {8100D56A-5661-482C-BEE8-AFECE305D968} (Facebook Photo Uploader 5 Control) - http://upload.facebook.com/controls/...Uploader55.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E06E2E99-0AA1-11D4-ABA6-0060082AA75C} (GpcContainer Class) - https://travelport.webex.com/client/...g/ieatgpc1.cab
    O16 - DPF: {E2883E8F-472F-4FB0-9522-AC9BF37916A7} - http://platformdl.adobe.com/NOS/getPlusPlus/1.6/gp.cab
    O18 - Protocol: skype-ie-addon-data - {91774881-D725-4E58-B298-07617B9B86A8} - C:\Program Files\Skype\Toolbars\Internet Explorer\skypeieplugin.dll
    O18 - Protocol: skype4com - {FFC8B962-9B40-4DFF-9458-1830C7DD7F5D} - C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\Skype\SKYPE4~1.DLL
    O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll
    O23 - Service: Adobe Acrobat Update Service (AdobeARMservice) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
    O23 - Service: ADSM Service (ADSMService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\ASUS\ASUS Data Security Manager\ADSMSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: Apple Mobile Device - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\AppleMobileDeviceService.exe
    O23 - Service: ASLDR Service (ASLDRService) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\ATK Hotkey\ASLDRSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: Ati External Event Utility - ATI Technologies Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\Ati2evxx.exe
    O23 - Service: ATKGFNEX Service (ATKGFNEXSrv) - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\ATKGFNEX\GFNEXSrv.exe
    O23 - Service: Bonjour Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\Bonjour\mDNSResponder.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdate) (gupdate) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Update Service (gupdatem) (gupdatem) - Google Inc. - C:\Program Files\Google\Update\GoogleUpdate.exe
    O23 - Service: Google Software Updater (gusvc) - Google - C:\Program Files\Google\Common\Google Updater\GoogleUpdaterService.exe
    O23 - Service: iPod Service - Apple Inc. - C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
    O23 - Service: LightScribeService Direct Disc Labeling Service (LightScribeService) - Hewlett-Packard Company - C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LSSrvc.exe
    O23 - Service: McciCMService - Alcatel-Lucent - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Motive\McciCMService.exe
    O23 - Service: spmgr - Unknown owner - C:\Program Files\ASUS\NB Probe\SPM\spmgr.exe
    --
    End of file - 10451 bytes
    I get the feeling its some kind of software issue, just seems strange that it happened so suddenly and has stuck so fast. My next attempt will be to find updated drivers for the laptop from Asus and try to install those to see if that fixes anything. If it were my laptop I'd just save my Documents and format/reinstall windows My friend is away at a conference for the weekend, so if I can't get it going before she's back I might suggest format/reinstall as the easy option.

Cheers,
    Mike.

OK I've solved quite bizarre really. As well as the Fn+F2 there is also a wireless switch - barely moving from off to on I managed to turn it on again

And the desktop icons had been turned off in the asus power2go (or something) options.

I'm guessing the wireless switch had been bumped, but I don't see how the icons could have been turned off without the power settings being changed... ah well, all going now, so who cares

Thanks for all the help and suggestions

Cheers,
    Mike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike View Post
    I've done a bit of playing around, turning off services/startup apps etc. It seems there is one service that is causing both problems (the wireless and the desktop icons). If I turn the service off and restart the icons appear and the Fn+F2 to turn on wireless seems to work (the light on the front of laptop goes off/on), however this service seems to be related to the wireless, so it still doesn't work. When the service is running there's an icon in system tray for wireless (not the typical windows icon though - this ones a blue aerial type thing with circles coming out from it) and when you double click on the icon it pops up a window for a short time that says Wireless Off.

I'll connect the laptop via ethernet now and get the hijackthis done.

Cheers,
    Mike.
    That icon you describe is the Asus software wireless - you can safely un-install that. It comes bundled with Asus laptops and simply overrides the Windows version. Was a pain to use so I deleted it.

Try removing it and then a restart?

You can remove some of the entries in startup

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Windows Defender] %ProgramFiles%\Windows Defender\MSASCui.exe -hide

04 - HKLM\..\Run: [StartCCC] "C:\Program Files\ATI Technologies\ATI.ACE\Core-Static\CLIStart.exe" MSRun

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\QTTask.exe" -atboottime

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ASUS Screen Saver Protector] C:\Windows\ASScrPro.exe

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized

O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [LightScribe Control Panel] C:\Program Files\Common Files\LightScribe\LightScribeControlPanel.exe -hidden