Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trouble adding printer in SBS 2008 - Printer drvier was not installed

Hi guys, got an issue here that I havenít come across before and I havenít been able to find anything useful from a few minutes of googling.

Iím trying to install a printer on a SBS 2008 machine. Go into printers, right click on ĎAdd printerí and run as admin, create the TCP/IP port, browse for the driver, select the correct printer and click next, then after thinking about it for some time, this comes up. Printer driver was not installed. The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	printer.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	34.1 KB 
ID:	3168
    I moved the driver files to the desktop, and then to the root of the C: in case there was some weird permissions thing going on, but had no joy with that. I also tried forcing the printer to install to LPT1 rather than the TCP/IP port, but the same error occurs.

I am accessing the SBS remotely, could that be affecting it?

Any ideas would be welcome, thanks.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Default Re: Trouble adding printer in SBS 2008 - Printer drvier was not installed

Blimey Wratt -- to late in the day to do this

OK

Good News, and better news

Good News -- Replicated the problem on my 2008 SBS

Better news -- Found the solution as well - installed Via remote desktop.

Open the add a printer folder - right click in the "center pane"/the printerlist section/pane ( See attachment, anywhere thats White/blank) select option "Run as Administrator" in the popup menu and then "add printer"

Click continue, Add network Printer (assuming it is) - if it doesn't find it, click " The printer I want isn't listed" - Add printer using TCP/IP -- add in the IP address the printer is on ( other attachment), follow through to install the drivers from where ever they are / you put them.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Printer.jpg 
Views:	96 
Size:	39.3 KB 
ID:	3169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Printer1.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	3170  
    Last edited by wainuitech; 20-09-2011 at 06:49 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Default Re: Trouble adding printer in SBS 2008 - Printer drvier was not installed

How odd. That wizard shouldn't be doing anything different to what wratterus did.
    Intel Core i5-3470 CPU
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 graphics card
    Enermax Tomahawk II 500W PSU
    Antec 300 case
    Win7 Pro (Action Pack :D)

surprisingly quick even without an SSD

How odd. That wizard shouldn't be doing anything different to what wratterus did.
    You'd think so, but I looked at several places and that answer was supplied for a similar problem.

When clicking add a printer in SBS 2008 ( see 1st attachment) it doesn't give the option to run as administrator.

On my SBS 2008 (2nd attachment to show it is actually the SBS server), I replicated the exact same problem, error messages and all as per wratterus's post, did what I posted and it worked straight away. I was connecting a Brother Laser - network capable.

Another place I found, the person did mention that adding a printer in SBS 2008 from the add a printer (1st attachment) does fail for a TCP/IP setting, but works OK if the printer is connected directly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Printer.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	37.9 KB 
ID:	3171   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBS.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	50.6 KB 
ID:	3172  
    Last edited by wainuitech; 20-09-2011 at 08:58 PM.

Thanks heaps for looking into that Wainui - I've just tried what you've suggested there and for me unfortunately It hasn't worked - still getting the same error.

Certainly an odd one - I might give it a go locally if I get a chance.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	about.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	3173

Could be something on the server causing it as well.

Is the printer a actual stand alone Network printer, and not one that's shared from another PC ?

Also, I assume you got the correct X64 drivers for the server, meaning when I got the drivers for the Brother, there were specific drivers for servers compared to what you would normally use for XP, Vista and W7 ??

Edited: BTW Mine did the same error messages even locally, its a only in the next room

Just a thought -- as per the error message - "The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process". Did you look in task manager, or is there actually something happening with the Printer ?
    Last edited by wainuitech; 21-09-2011 at 09:34 AM.

It's a standalone network printer - Ricoh Aficio MP C3501

I got the specific Server 2008 x64 drivers from Ricoh's site.

The printer was idle when I was attempting to install the driver - double checked that this morning as I gave it another go before office hours.

I did skim through the task manager looking for anything suspect - did you have a particular process/program in mind you think could have been interfering with it? Just remembered I also tried installing the driver without explorer.exe running, and restarted the print spooler service.

Thanks.

PS - I'm going to try a few of the other drivers listed there - all the PCs that are currently set up with that printer are using the PCL 5c driver, and that was the one I grabbed for the server too. I installed the printer on a new Win7 x64 notebook the other day with the PCL 5c driver and that worked fine.

Will try the universal one.
    Last edited by wratterus; 21-09-2011 at 10:57 AM.

When I did it last night, I ended up having to restart the server, as I was wanting to try it locally, and the damn KMV switch wouldn't connect properly. Prior to that I got the message saying "The process cannot access the file ------" after doing a restart it didn't appear again, but that may have been a odd happening.

I was getting all different sorts of error messages though about not being able to connect, or printers not found etc.

The brother gets used all the time, so when I was adding it, it wasn't in any sort of sleep / shutdown mode (may have nothing to do with it either)

As for what processes to look for ----- cant think of anything off the top of my head, just thought there may be something showing (as a higher %) and killing that may be the cause, downside to that of course is it could also be a process thats needed.

It could be one of those problems "you have to be there, or see whats happening" to figure it out.

Computer Tech

Has this printer been installed on the server in the past?
    It may be some left over driver files if it has, that are still in use.
    Have a look in Server Properties (File - Run as Administrator - Server Properties - Drivers tab) and delete any Ricoh drivers if there are any.

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    Has this printer been installed on the server in the past?
    It may be some left over driver files if it has, that are still in use.
    Have a look in Server Properties (File - Run as Administrator - Server Properties - Drivers tab) and delete any Ricoh drivers if there are any.
    Thanks - this printer hasn't been installed before, last one was a canon. There are no Ricoh drivers in the drivers tab.

I haven't tried adding the driver there and then trying to install the printer though, that's an idea.

Edit - same issue.
    Last edited by wratterus; 21-09-2011 at 01:31 PM.