Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior in age member

Default Mobile phone use in Cambodia

Yesterday I bought a cheap Vodophone 246 Mobile phone from Hardly Normal because they said if I purchased a SIM card for it while in Cambodia next week it would work up there.
    Reading articles on the net I am not so sure now.
    Can anyone advise if this will work?
    It did come with a NZ SIM card which works fine when I topped it up.
    Thanks

Default Re: Mobile phone use in Cambodia

Why are you not so sure, that should work fine.

Senior in age member

SIM cards a new to me, I didnt understand how they work and on the net there is alot of comments about having to unlock them. Thanks Alex B I am sure you are right. Guess I will know for sure next week.

NZ brought phones are not network locked, meaning they can work on any compatible network with a sim swap alone But yes for over seas purchased phones that could well be the case

Senior in age member

Thanks Alex B, another small bump in the learning curve. Wish I was 50 years younger. would understand this modern world better.

My partner has just been to Thailand for two weeks. She took her 021 cell phone with her. We were able to communicate using the 021 Vodafone card. We used texts because in Thailand and China you pay to receive a call, on top of the 'Roaming charge' It would be cheaper to buy a SIM Card in Cambodia, and even cheaper if you use Skype.

Senior in age member

I have a Tuk Tuk driver on call and the phone will mainly be used to text him for p/u when required.
    I will be using email for contact with home and maybe Skype depending on the connection.

I used my NZ Vodafone prepay mobile in Cambodia in March. You needed to set up credit-card roaming first, but this now has been replaced with a new payment type (unsure of details). If you are only going to send text messages, then this may be a better idea but if you are going to use it for internet, it will be very $$$.

BTW, the Cambodian government has made it illegal to refer to remork's as a tuk tuk ...
    Last edited by Jen; 01-08-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: inadvertant typo ...

Senior in age member

jen, they will always be Tuk Tuk's to me so I will have to watch what I say. Remork just doesnt do it for me.

Were you in Phnom Penh?
    Any observations?

I was in Phnom Penh and Siam Reap. By observations you mean my tourist tips?

Things to see and do in Phnom Penh:
    • Tuol Sleng Genocide Museum and killing fields outside of town - really emotional and terrible what humans can do to each other even in just recent times.
    • National Museum - nice and quiet place to spend an hour or two.
    • Hire a boat and cruise to where the Tonle Sap and Mekong river meet.
    • Royal Palace - OK to see, really depends upon your interests and what sort of guide you get (ignore the 'professional' beggars/children at the gates).
    • Friends restaurant - lovely food at a great price and you are supporting their cause (educating local children in the hospitality industry).
    • FCC (Foreign Correspondent Club) - located on the river front and supposed to be really good mix of British/French/Cambodian food, but a bit pricey.
    • Have noodle soup for breakfast - a common Cambodian dish and very tasty.
    • Try a meal made with Kampot peppercorns - I had beef with Kampot pepper and the ground pepper was served in a small bowl that you squeezed lime juice over and then dipped the beef into it - absolutely yummy!

Good tips:
    • Take your Hotel business card with map and address in Khmer with you in case you get lost.
    • US dollars is the preferred currency, but they will often give small change in Riel. Use this on things like drinks, snacks or tips so you don't end up with a wad of unless currency.
    • Don't make rude remarks in front of them about some of the weird food (eg insects) they eat - this is how many managed to survive during the Khmer Rouge.
    • Respect their dress code when it comes to covering up arms and legs or removing hats - they should provide guidance for tourists on this. Keep an eye out for it when visiting places/sites.
    • Only drink bottled water and use this for brushing teeth etc. Bottled water is really cheap.
    • And most importantly, cross (or walk on roads) with confidence and keep a steady/regular pace so traffic can drive around you. Don't suddenly bolt or make unexpected moves or you will get hit.

If you haven't experienced a country like Cambodian before, then be prepared for a big culture shock. This is not a bad thing and makes you appreciate the differences between cultures/lifestyles.
    Last edited by Jen; 01-08-2011 at 10:18 PM.