Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Angry Yet ANOTHER load of Apple rubbish

Just saw this on the News -- Some parents have problems paying for schooling now.

What a bunch of idiots - iPads in schools as part of the compulsory stationery
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Default Re: Yet ANOTHER load of Apple rubbish

Well if they are compelled to have something it might as well be the best available. :-)

Pretends to know things

+1

Uneqfglyr, shpx lrnu ubergeek85's Avatar

What about a nice andriod tab.... oh, yeah.
    ........,-O
    .......O(_)) ubuntu 11.04 because I'm insane
    ........`-O

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I think I scare ubergeek85. His first words to me were 'you banned me'.

I think it sucks when they say a specific brand is compulsory. Wouldnt any notebook do?
    Or are NZ schools totally Apple orientated?
    Would have thought a lap top with XP and loaded with Microsoft products would be the go considering the kidz will be using Microsoft stuff anyway.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Meh, schools like that are loaded with Apple products. iMacs, MacBooks, and the lot. Oh, and Apple Servers
    ~NOBODY CARES~

I don't understand how this digital learning stuff can actually be any good? I can't even see it being useful for an IT class because it has no real keyboard. And how are you going to do anything on it for a maths class?

The only thing I can see it being useful for is researching something, checking the spelling on a word and .... posting facebook status updates, IMing your friend on the other side of the room, and watching inappropriate material when the class gets boring. And lets not forget playing Angry Birds (Really the only reason the iPad was made)

Seriously, what are they worth? $700+? Not worth it, no way. What's wrong with paper and pen? Nothing. Also gonna get a lot more people mugging school kids.

And this is coming from a young person.

Quote Originally Posted by --Wolf-- View Post
    I don't understand how this digital learning stuff can actually be any good? I can't even see it being useful for an IT class because it has no real keyboard. And how are you going to do anything on it for a maths class?

The only thing I can see it being useful for is researching something, checking the spelling on a word and .... posting facebook status updates, IMing your friend on the other side of the room, and watching inappropriate material when the class gets boring. And lets not forget playing Angry Birds (Really the only reason the iPad was made)

Seriously, what are they worth? $700+? Not worth it, no way. What's wrong with paper and pen? Nothing. Also gonna get a lot more people mugging school kids.

And this is coming from a young person.
    This, PLUS kids are kids and many will treat it without care. Apple would be happy with all the repair works no doubt, they probably struck a deal with schools.
    Meh....

An iPad, is not an worthy investment for schoolwork.

1: It is not practical to type on as far as note taking goes
    2: It cannot really be used to develop any mainstream computer applications (HTML/C+/# etc as far as I know an iPad cant even support writing in its own language or the apple language
    3: Its closed source meaning apps must be approved by apple and that costs/requires a dev acct. No motivation for students to write their own code
    4: It offers no real advantage over a standard computer or Tablet offered by other vendors. Why brand specific
    5: It is likely to get lost or stolen
    7: As likely as it is to get lost or stolen, it will get broken
    8: Apps will be a distraction. There is no real way to parental lock an iPad

Basically, I think a netbook or maybe even another version of a Tablet should be an OPTION at the very least. I can understand schools that say a Mac laptop is the only machine to be used on school networks since administration etc is simplified but forcing an iPad which actually fulfil any useful purpose is wasteful

Here ends the reading
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

Quote Originally Posted by The Error Guy View Post
    An iPad, is not an worthy investment for schoolwork.

1: It is not practical to type on as far as note taking goes
    2: It cannot really be used to develop any mainstream computer applications (HTML/C+/# etc as far as I know an iPad cant even support writing in its own language or the apple language
    3: Its closed source meaning apps must be approved by apple and that costs/requires a dev acct. No motivation for students to write their own code
    4: It offers no real advantage over a standard computer or Tablet offered by other vendors. Why brand specific
    5: It is likely to get lost or stolen
    7: As likely as it is to get lost or stolen, it will get broken
    8: Apps will be a distraction. There is no real way to parental lock an iPad

Basically, I think a netbook or maybe even another version of a Tablet should be an OPTION at the very least. I can understand schools that say a Mac laptop is the only machine to be used on school networks since administration etc is simplified but forcing an iPad which actually fulfil any useful purpose is wasteful

Here ends the reading
    All 8 of your points are irrelevant. iPads have an Apple logo on the back. Therefore they are better.