Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1080

South Seas Parrothead Twelvevolts's Avatar

Default 1080

http://www.stuff.co.nz/environment/5...ve-our-forests

Time to get on and drop more 1080 to save native birds.

Don't see there is a good case not to but may yet be enlightened by rest of you.
    Drinking Central Otago Pinot Noir - but purely for medicinal purposes.

mikebartnz

Default Re: 1080

One place I go to frequently out White Rock way I used to be able shoot 60+ possums in a few hours shooting and since a couple of 1080 drops and follow on bait station poisoning there is hardly a possum on the place. The song of the Bell bird when walking up the valley behind their house at sparrow fart hour is amazing now. The other effect it has had is that he has had three clear TB tests now which gives him more room for stock movement.
    I'm all for it.
    Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working when you open Windows.

Mixed feelings about it tbh. I think that the 100 million a year spent on using it vs the 2 million a year spent on researching alternate methods is pretty poor.

The stats in the Stuff article are crap, 8 dogs that have died since 2007. 8 'reported' cases anyway, I personally know of 2 farmers that lost dogs due to eating possums killed from 1080.

Behind the folks property where I used to go hunting I used to see all kinds of wildlife, pigs, quail, rabbits, possums, fantails, tuis, every common bird you can think of and they used to abound - both native and introduced, even the occasional deer.
    Then they did a 1080 drop, went up there a couple of weeks after and the area was dead silent - almost eerie. Not a single chirp from a bird. The place was completely devoid of all forms of animal life for a good 6 months afterwards - including native species.

Yes 1080 'works' but I think NZ seriously needs to consider an alternative before using it on such a large scale.

Cheap and easy solutions have a habit of biting you in the arse somewhere later down the track.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cicero View Post
    Thats a good idea,and everybody should be whipped if they disagree.
    We like to live on the edge.

Wife works for the fledgling sanctuary that is being built in Nelson, they are completely opposed to 1080 on ethical grounds as it does far too much extra damage, unfortunately at this point in time they also know they will need to use it as a viable alternative is not available. Catch 22

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Wife works for the fledgling sanctuary that is being built in Nelson, they are completely opposed to 1080 on ethical grounds as it does far too much extra damage, unfortunately at this point in time they also know they will need to use it as a viable alternative is not available. Catch 22
    Exactly - which is why they need to invest more than 2 million a year on researching alternate methods. Perhaps use some of the 100 million a year they use in 'deploying' it?

Yes I wish they would put more effort into finding an alternative, they already use intensive trapping at the sanctuary but because they don't the funding in place yet to erect the fence it's an ongoing battle

They could always increase the price of possum pelts again - government subsidy if the fur isn't selling well.

Neighbors used to live off that - back around year 2000. Pelts sold for $5 each, and they would trap extensively and live quite happily on the profits. Then the prices dropped to less than $2 a pelt and they stopped.

I'm all for it. 15 years ago there was hardly any bird sound or life in my neighbourhood in town. These days I even have a few Tui around, and a few nesting pigeons. I wake up with bird sound all around me. Brilliant.

sarel
    Fishing is not a matter of life or death, it's more serious than that.

I recon that it's preferable having 1080 dropped to having a bunch of possum hunters out there spreading cyanide bait willy nilly through the bush or letting loose in the dark with a rifle.

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

As Demonhunter says..mixed feelings about 1080.

There is considerable disinformation and misinformation put out by both opponents and proponents, mainly by opponents I'd say, as they tend to be more fanatical in their opposition. (like slashing tires of WRC vehicles and firing shots into the Upper Hutt office).

I have had 2 dogs die from 1080, one my fault by being in the wrong place at the wrong time, the other which is almost too painful to think about was during the last 1080 drops by Wellington Regional Council nearly 5 years ago, and was due to an unknown mad opponent deliberately spreading 1080 around in reserves and parks in Upper Hutt.

1080 can last in the bush for far longer than is officially stated.
    A pellet was found under a log on Quoin Ridge some years ago by a friend some 18 months after 1080 was dropped.

I found whole 1080 pellets on the ground going up a spur behind Kaitoke Waterworks a full 2 months after the drop, and after there had been over 160mm rain. This is the amount of rainfall reckoned to breakdown all 1080.

If the pellet stays dry, then it wont break down.

It takes a full 6 months for possum guts to rot away, these are the last to go and remain poisonous to dogs.

The slightest trace will kill a dog and there is no treatment. The death is the most painful and violent.
    You wouldn't wish such a death on any animal, but then, we are not generally around to see a possum or a deer die.

1080 is used by local councils as well as DOC and they (well at least the GWRC) have been indiscriminate in its use.

There is no excuse for dropping 1080 into areas having bush walks and frequented by the public, eg the Kaitoke to Twin Lakes Ridge Track, or around the Waterworks area (Kaitoke Regional Park) and the various recreational reserves.

In these areas with easy access it should be mandatory to use kill traps on trees together with rat and stoat traps.

The government, ie the tax payer, should just bite the bullet and employ people to trap the pests and maintain the traps where there is relatively easy access.

Where access too difficult then there is a case for the use of 1080.

Last edited by Terry Porritt; 08-06-2011 at 11:38 AM. Reason: added