Default What are actrix & orcon ISP's are like for torrents & gaming?

Hi does anyone know what actrix & orcon ISP's are like for torrents & gaming?

Pretends to know things

Default Re: What are actrix & orcon ISP's are like for torrents & gaming?

Slightly off topic here: Why are so many people asking about ISP speeds at the moment.

@steve dunno. See if someone can give you a speedtest result or something.

Orcon is decent, I would give you speed tests but since I live in Christchurch and the network while working still has issues that would be pointless.

I torrent and game, as an example I downloaded the 2gb Dragon Age 2 Demo in 12mins.
    The Internet moves in mysterious ways.

My orcon speeds are ok, 7-9mbps down and capped to 120kbps up. The upload cap is ridiculous though. it sucks. Other than that they are pretty decent. I can get up to around 700-900kbs for a well seeded torrent like ubuntu.

Gaming, haven't done much recently. they used to be pretty good. under 100ms in NZ usually unless the traffic was heavy. Can't say for sure now but since the speed and ping times have improved I'd say it would be just as good if not better.

Can't post ping or speedtest since i'm overseas atm
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

Last edited by Trev; 26-04-2011 at 01:32 PM.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Those pings are terrible, I'd be pissed if I was getting 100ms nationally. Same for your upload, if you're only getting that, then (because Orcon don't cap your upload) it's likely either a crap router, or bad wiring, which isn't ISP-specific.

When I was with Orcon on a non-interleaved connection at my last house about 6 months ago (I moved 300m down the road, closer to the exchange now), I was getting around 20ms nationally.

From what I understand Orcon buy a ton of bandwidth so most users are easily able to attain their max line speed when they need to try, if they run into issues it's usually due to an old / congested Exchange, in which case no ISP is likely to be any better.

Actrix have won tons of awards year in and year out for best ISP and best customer service, so they're pretty darn good. Orcons a bit cheaper, especially with their "bestdealever" promotion.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Are the people saying orcon are good on an unbundled exchange orcon plan or orcon/telecom wholesale. I hear in parts of the country that orcon use telecom wholesale & the speeds are much slower.

Quote Originally Posted by The Error Guy View Post
    My orcon speeds are ok, 7-9mbps down and capped to 120kbps up. The upload cap is ridiculous though. it sucks. Other than that they are pretty decent. I can get up to around 700-900kbs for a well seeded torrent like ubuntu.
    Sounds a bit like ADSL1 . My ADSL 2 I get up to 15mbits down and about 512Kbits up..
    Regards,

Paul W
    Taco Bell is not a Mexican telephone company

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by steve123 View Post
    Are the people saying orcon are good on an unbundled exchange orcon plan or orcon/telecom wholesale. I hear in parts of the country that orcon use telecom wholesale & the speeds are much slower.
    Not specifically.

BTW - Stick to one thread, don't go asking the same thing in multiple threads.

Basically, if Orcon are wholesaling from Chorus and they're getting crap speeds, it's due to exchange congestion, and in that case Telecom Xtra will probably have crap speeds, just like Xnet, Actrix etc.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro