Default System won't defrag. HELP!!!!!!!

Running Windows 98se on Pentium III 667. System won't defrag. Keeps reaching 3% then restarts, over and over again. Have cleaned out unwanted 'stuff', run scan disk, run AVG, run Adaware, and run system file checker. Now I want to defrag. but it won't. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance to those who can help me.

Default Re: System won't defrag. HELP!!!!!!!

The easiest way is to boot into safe mode and run it there (press shift when just before the win98 splash screen).

Hello,
    this usually means something is running in the background, try turning off your screensaver, and disabling AVG
    cheers,

Ran defrag.from safe mode as bm suggested. This worked. You are right, though. When I ran scandisk I receved a message saying that something else was running, but couldn't work out what. However in saying that, it has allways worked perfectly well with these functions running until now.

There is a freeware programme called RegCleaner, nothing to do with MS Reg Clean.
    Go to http://www.jv16.org
    This has a column for Startup programmes & can be set to show hidden programmes that do not show with Control Alt Del
    I used this to find & remove a programme that I thought I had junked about 3 years ago.Frank