Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default Re: On Vagueness, and Quack talking

Like is now a new lexicon in the language, just accept it the language evolves. Have you seen 17th century English? its very hard to to decyper
    As far as vagueness goes that commie Geoffry Palmer was the best at it I had ever seen. He could talk for 15 minutes and say nothing.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by prefect View Post
    Like is now a new lexicon in the language,
    As far as vagueness goes that commie Geoffry Palmer was the best at it I had ever seen. He could talk for 15 minutes and say nothing.
    1. To find pleasant or attractive; enjoy.
    2. To want to have: would like some coffee.
    3. To feel about; regard: How do you like her nerve!

Not So, like, I went, like to, like the movies.

Which just makes you sound illiterate and stupid.

And no doubt Mr Palmer could talk at length without directly answering a question but you need to be very articulate to do that well. And not sound like a brain dead moron.
    wipe your paws.

Similar to "Like" is the use of "you know"
    No I don't Know. If I knew I wouldn't be asking.

Mark Sainsbury does something similar by punctuating his sentences with "I mean..." when he actually means nothing. He does it so often I have given up watching anything he does, because I am always anticipating when he is going to say it next...

And all the other TV so-called 'reporters' who accept a live cross with their first word being "Wool". I finally worked out they are trying to say "Well" in an inarticulate vowel free way, but why they say it at all I have no idea. Maybe it is their equivalent of "Like"?

Like is now a new lexicon in the language, just accept it the language evolves. Have you seen 17th century English? its very hard to to decyper
    Nearly in the same class as Bob Parker.
    "The life of the dead is placed in the memory of the living." Cicero

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post
    Mark Sainsbury does something similar by punctuating his sentences with "I mean..." when he actually means nothing. He does it so often I have given up watching anything he does, because I am always anticipating when he is going to say it next...

And all the other TV so-called 'reporters' who accept a live cross with their first word being "Wool". I finally worked out they are trying to say "Well" in an inarticulate vowel free way, but why they say it at all I have no idea. Maybe it is their equivalent of "Like"?
    Not as bad as those news readers in the 60 and 70s with their private school Englander plum in the mouth accent. Everyone else here was talking like Fred Dagg and Lyn of Tawa and these clowns were talking like Prince Charles.
    Last edited by prefect; 28-02-2011 at 01:40 PM.
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

Quote Originally Posted by John H View Post

Uuuuh, what? "Wil" is a word used in ratel (radio telecommunications), which has become common usage in mainstream media. It is derived from "wilco", which means "I have received your message and will comply with any orders contained therein".

It is definitely not their equivalent of "like". Perhaps you need to research a bit more into how things work in the communications industries before you go bagging people for no reason.

The above is a work of fiction.

Quote Originally Posted by roddy_boy View Post
    Uuuuh, what? "Wil" is a word used in ratel (radio telecommunications), which has become common usage in mainstream media. It is derived from "wilco", which means "I have received your message and will comply with any orders contained therein".

It is definitely not their equivalent of "like". Perhaps you need to research a bit more into how things work in the communications industries before you go bagging people for no reason.

The above is a work of fiction.
    Oh bullshit. They are trying to say "well" but can't manage it. It is to camera as the first word of their track, not a response to internal communications. This was a foolish post even by your standards.

Not as bad as those news readers in the 60 and 70s with their private school Englander plum in the mouth accent. Everyone else here was talking like Fred Dagg and Lyn of Tawa and these clowns were talking like Prince Charles.
    At least you could understand what Bill Toft and Dugald Stevenson used to say, unlike most of the current flippertijibbets straight out of 'journalism' school. Oh, and by the way, nobody talks like Prince Charles. He is a one off.

@ John H - Highlight all the text in roddy_boy's post...

Think you'll find some white text there...

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)