Question freebies to monitor my own wireless internet usage?

I am in a flatting situation.

we have one of those Telecom wireless modems, the Thomson ones they give you for free if you sign up to their plans...

we have 4 lappies in the house, plus 1 desktop (me) with a TP-LINK usb wireless adaptor.

Last month our allowance ran out half way through the month (10GB), so this month I would like to monitor my own wireless internet usage: out going, in going, total usage for the month etc.

I found this tool on the web called NetStat Live, by AnalogX. It is really good, gives you the current incoming speed, current out going speed, outgoing total and incoming total of the month......

problem is, the current incoming and current outgoing is not working: when I watch something online, the current incoming and outgoing stays zero....but the total incoming and out going for the month goes up.....so i am not sure if this program is working at all, another thing is when I first fired up the program, it shows that my incoming total for the month is 160MB...how did it know??

there is also a function in that program which lets me ping websites...I pinged google, it shows my average ping is 148ms (really high), but it also says that the host is unreachable, under the "Trace" section.....

In case you gonna ask, I have added a exception on windows firewall.... I suspect that this program only works for wired Ethernet connections....it does say that it works for all versions of windows tho....

my main question is, are there any good freebies out there that will happily monitor my own (or the entire network im in) wireless internet usage, which provides the same or similar functionality as NetStat Live??

I do recommend this NetStat Live program..even tho it is not running properly for me, it is clean, lean, and fast....

Thanks for the help in advance..
    ASUS G74SX-A1
    Core i7 2630-QM
    14GB DDR3
    Nvidia GTX 560M
    OCZ Vertex 4 120GB
    OCZ Agility 3 60GB

Old dick-head

Default Re: freebies to monitor my own wireless internet usage?

If you want to put something on everyone's machine, this is good at keeping totals -
    http://www.metal-machine.de/readerro...tpmod;dl=get26

but what happens if one of your flatmates turns his off before a big download ?

You really need something loaded in the router like Gargoyle.

Someone like Chill will tell you all the details shortly.

Thanks decibel.....

I found something similar, called Bandwidth Monitor, it let me choose what to monitor, and my TP-Link wireless Lite N adapter is in there....I downloaded your Net Meter thing as well, does the same thing, but when I get to choose the thingy to monitor, one of the choice is "All interfaces, no loop back, no duplicates"....what does it mean??

in the graph, the red line is the download, green line is upload, what is yellow line then??? I am seeing green line, red line and yellow lines all over the place while I am typing this.....but im sure I am not loading a website or downloading anything...does it mean someone else hooked up to the net work is doing so? is it monitoring the total traffic of the network rather than just my own??

one more thing, I checked my Bandwidth Monitor just before I went for my afternoon nap, it was telling me that I have used 20 something MB today...I put my PC to sleep, then went for a nap, then when I woke up, I woke the PC as well, and guess what, now it is telling me that I have used 460 MB!!! how on earth does that work????

Thanks for the help
    Last edited by powerover; 27-02-2011 at 03:13 PM.
    ASUS G74SX-A1
    Core i7 2630-QM
    14GB DDR3
    Nvidia GTX 560M
    OCZ Vertex 4 120GB
    OCZ Agility 3 60GB

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Can I recommend either WebGauge, or a router like the WRT54GL running Gargoyle?

No quite what you asked for, but more ideal as it'll monitor *everybody*!
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    Can I recommend either WebGauge, or a router like the WRT54GL running Gargoyle?

No quite what you asked for, but more ideal as it'll monitor *everybody*!
    thanks chilly...im not running the flat so I cnt change the router...but i will definitely try WebGauge tho...
    ASUS G74SX-A1
    Core i7 2630-QM
    14GB DDR3
    Nvidia GTX 560M
    OCZ Vertex 4 120GB
    OCZ Agility 3 60GB

http://www.webgauge.co.nz/Pricing.aspx

Just one note, though: WebGauge requires you to purchase a specified router (at least $100), as well as subscription fees. So while WebGauge looks like a great option, i'm afraid it's not "free".
    The problem with Linux for an average user is that the hardware either worked with Linux out of the box, or it most likely won't work at all.