Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Attempting to boldly go......

Actually it should be 'attempting boldly to go' but somehow that doesn't seem to have the same gazumbo.......

Having sorted the USB drive, I'd now like to know if it is possible to partition C into C & D when it already has the OS and programs loaded. I have vague memories of a tech doing this for me on my first computer. Reason is that it would be easier to refresh the OS if necessary while leaving the data intact.

It is not critical, because I can simply create a folder named Data and hang all the subfolders off that, but i have a thing about keeping Church and State well separated so that they don't both go down together. This policy has saved me untold grief over the last 15 or so years.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Default Re: Attempting to boldly go......

I think Partitionmagic could (depending on the version of the Windows). This may do it. I've never used it tho. But you need a blank cd to burn the ISO. Its 150 MB

Yep, any number of utils can resize the partition.
    I'd lean towards a bootable tool like gparted live cd or such.
    Take an image first just in case.

With Sys & data separate, if (when) the Win install goes tits-up, (or gets fake AV w/ rootkits) just drop the latest system-drive image back over it & carry on.
    Burning all the diaries
    I'm just helping with inquiries
    Here at Lost and Found
    Another day above the ground

mikebartnz

No problems with PartedMagic.
    Do a checkdisk and defrag first.
    Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working when you open Windows.

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Why not just use Disk Management from within Windows? Use the Shrink option, then make another partition in the freedup space.

Quoting and paste from the help file:-

"Shrink a Basic Volume
    You can decrease the space used by primary partitions and logical drives by shrinking them into adjacent, contiguous space on the same disk. For example, if you discover that you need an additional partition but do not have additional disks, you can shrink the existing partition from the end of the volume to create new unallocated space that can then be used for a new partition. The shrink operation can be blocked by the presence of certain file types; see Additional considerations for more information.

When you shrink a partition, any ordinary files are automatically relocated on the disk to create the new unallocated space. There is no need to reformat the disk to shrink the partition.

Membership in Backup Operators or Administrators, or equivalent, is the minimum required to complete this procedures.

Caution
    If the partition is a raw partition (that is, one without a file system) that contains data (such as a database file), shrinking the partition might destroy the data.

Shrinking a basic volume
    Using the Windows interface

Using a command line

To shrink a basic volume using the Windows interface

In Disk Manager, right-click the basic volume you want to shrink.

Click Shrink Volume.

Follow the instructions on your screen."

...end of quote

mikebartnz

The thing about using PartedMagic as against the Disk Management from within Windows is that Windows is not running so there is less likely hood of a stuff up. It is running off the CD.
    Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working when you open Windows.

Computer Tech

This will do the job and is easy to use.
    http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm
    The Home Edition is free and is all you need.

Quote Originally Posted by fred_fish View Post
    snip

With Sys & data separate, if (when) the Win install goes tits-up, (or gets fake AV w/ rootkits) just drop the latest system-drive image back over it & carry on.
    But, if there is only one partition, doing what you suggest will achieve exactly the same result, namely, OS and data good to go. Only one backup script required as well.

Quote Originally Posted by linw View Post
    But, if there is only one partition, doing what you suggest will achieve exactly the same result, namely, OS and data good to go. Only one backup script required as well.
    Yes, but ...

If you do a 'system only' image, it only needs updating when new progs are installed / major setting changes, OS updates etc.

Combine it with a regular 'file based' data backup system which can be done incrementally (smaller / faster) and is much easier to pull individual files out of than a monolithic image (in case of accidental deletion or 'Save' instead of 'Save As' ).

Also, if you have been unknowingly infected for a while, you may have to go back a few iterations of images to get a clean system (this assumes the capacity exists to store multiple FULL IMAGES) and then have to deal with extracting your new data from later images and syncing the changes with the earlier image data. Sure, this can be done, but it's not necessary if you keep them separate.
    Burning all the diaries
    I'm just helping with inquiries
    Here at Lost and Found
    Another day above the ground

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Porritt View Post
    Why not just use Disk Management from within Windows? Use the Shrink option, then make another partition in the freedup space.

Quoting and paste from the help file:-

"Shrink a Basic Volume
    You can decrease the space used by primary partitions and logical drives by shrinking them into adjacent, contiguous space on the same disk. For example, if you discover that you need an additional partition but do not have additional disks, you can shrink the existing partition from the end of the volume to create new unallocated space that can then be used for a new partition. The shrink operation can be blocked by the presence of certain file types; see Additional considerations for more information.

When you shrink a partition, any ordinary files are automatically relocated on the disk to create the new unallocated space. There is no need to reformat the disk to shrink the partition.
    I like the idea of shrinking, it sounds more within my capabilities and I am going to make a new set of recovery disks anyway now that I've loaded all the programs. I made one set before I started, just in case I really cocked-up, but everything went sweet, it just took a while because I rarely do this kind of thing.

So, if I defrag the present C drive, which is devoid of data, before I start the shrink, then make a new set of recovery disks, I can't really go wrong, can I??? I haven't checked yet, but I assume that all you have to do is put in disk one and boot to set the recovery into motion anyway.

As an afterthought though, If I had to delete the existing partition on the USB drive in order to partion it into two logical drives, how is it that the "shrink function will allow creation of a partion without deleting C: ? What say you Terry?

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

Well, searches don't find 'shrink a basic volume' and a search of disk management drew a blank. This is XP Pro we are talking about, is thgat what you are referring to as well Terry?
    Last edited by Billy T; 07-02-2011 at 10:12 PM.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!