Default Harddrive/RAM Failure?

Hi,

I am experiencing the following problem with my PC:

- Turn PC on it is not booting into windows (I have XP)
    - It looks like it is attempting to keep reading from the DVD drive (nothing is in there). If I try ejecting tray it opens (not fully) then closes quickly.
    - The start up 'beep' does not sound - this normally beeps within a few seconds of hitting the start button. I'm not sure what this beep is for (could it be for the RAM check or something else?)
    - It is intermittent - happens 50% of the time. Normally it will do it once and then if I try again, it's ok.
    - This morning it happened many times, but eventually booted.

I suspect this might be either be a harddrive failure or maybe a RAM failure - any ideas?

Thanks for any help.

Supreme evil person

Default Re: Harddrive/RAM Failure?

We had a similar problem (we thought the HDD had gone to the gods but putting the HDD in another machine said otherwise) but replacing the RAM fixed the problem. However, no matter how hard we tried we didn't get it to boot up at all. Try unplugging/replugging in the RAM just in case dust is the culprit.

Pedantic & Cynical Member Snorkbox's Avatar

Could be overheating perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by mookster1 View Post
    We had a similar problem (we thought the HDD had gone to the gods but putting the HDD in another machine said otherwise) but replacing the RAM fixed the problem. However, no matter how hard we tried we didn't get it to boot up at all. Try unplugging/replugging in the RAM just in case dust is the culprit.
    So once you replaced the RAM, could you then get it to reboot? IE simply unplugging/replugging the RAM didn't fix?

Quote Originally Posted by Snorkbox View Post
    Could be overheating perhaps.
    I wouldn't have thought it would be overheating as it happens when I start it for the day (ie it hasn't had a chance to overheat with only just been switched on??)

Pedantic & Cynical Member Snorkbox's Avatar

So are all the fans spinning and clean? Is the heatsink clean of fur? Have you unplugged and re inserted the hard drive cable(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by hsvman12 View Post
    Hi,

I am experiencing the following problem with my PC:

- Turn PC on it is not booting into windows (I have XP)
    - It looks like it is attempting to keep reading from the DVD drive (nothing is in there). If I try ejecting tray it opens (not fully) then closes quickly.
    - The start up 'beep' does not sound - this normally beeps within a few seconds of hitting the start button. I'm not sure what this beep is for (could it be for the RAM check or something else?)
    - It is intermittent - happens 50% of the time. Normally it will do it once and then if I try again, it's ok.
    - This morning it happened many times, but eventually booted.

I suspect this might be either be a harddrive failure or maybe a RAM failure - any ideas?

Thanks for any help.
    The motherboard is intermittently NOT seeing the hard drive, hence the attempt to boot from the optical drive....Either the mobo issue or the drive, my bet is the drive, however best course of action 1st is to see if there is a BIOS upgrade available for your mobo, 2nd, try different port, then cable, test the drive last....
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Thanks to all for the advice.

Before I shut down my PC, I just want to check that I have this correct. So based on all your suggestions, I should (in this order):

1) Check to see if there is a BIOS upgrade available for my mobo and update.

2) Try a different port - does this mean try the hard drive in another port? Or what am I trying in another port?

3) Unplug and re insert the hard drive cables. Then try using a different hard drive cable.

4) Test the hard drive - what is the best method for testing it?

In addition to the above, I should also:

1) Clean and check the RAM (although they might need replacing).

2) Check the fans are spinning and clean? Clean the heatsink.

A couple of interesting (maybe not) things:

1) I am using the PC now with the hard drives working.

2) I did some googling re boot ups and based on my research (well, what I can understand of it), it isn't finishing the POST as it should beep when finished. Although, it should also beep an error code and this isn't happening either.

3) The DVD rom lights come on as soon as I push the power button and don't stop flashing. I also have a multi card reader/writer and the light from that stays on also. Normally when I am using the PC (like now), the light is off.

Finally, is it safe to leave the PC on for 4 to 5 days? I normally shut off at night, but I don't want to shut it down until I have time to do these checks - which may not be in the weekend. Would it be better to leave it on or put it into stand by?

Cheers
    Last edited by hsvman12; 31-01-2011 at 09:03 PM.

Update: I have left my PC on since yesterday and I can still access the hard drive no problems.

Hi, just an update. I unplugged and replugged in the hard drive cables and that seems to have fixed the problem. One must have come loose.

So, thanks to you all for your help. A painless (and free) fix, which is always good.