Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    An old sod

Cool Hardware for a home server?

Am looking to setup a home server probably using Windows Home Server software. Would like about 2 TB min for a start but be able to expand easily as required. It appears that HP has dropped out of this market. Any suggestions?
    Many thanks.
    "Why work on Wednesday and stuff up two good long weekends"
    W10 Home 64-bit,Intel Core i7 @ 3.20GHz,RAM 16GB, ROG STRIX B360-I GAMING (LGA1151),PHL 257E7 (1920x1080@60Hz),4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (EVGA), 1TB SSD, 4TB HDD, 4TB USB SSD.

Default Re: Hardware for a home server?

My "Home Built" WHS - oh hell have a look at the attached Pic (via the remote desktop) and that hums along quite happy, never stalled it yet, and it gets a hammering.

Simply build your Own, and buy the software.

As for expanding the storage. You simply turn it off, attach another drive(s) even USB external - and add to the "pool".
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Server.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	2090  
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Enterprise IT Consultant chiefnz's Avatar

I'm running Server 2008 on a P4 3.6GHz and Intel PERC board, 3GB of RAM.

Storage:
    1 x 80GB = OS and Apps
    4 x 500GB for all my media

All PC's have access to the shares via wired or wireless connections.

I've had it running for about 2 years now, I originally had Server 2003 on there but then upgraded to 2008 to make things a little Windows 7 friendly which is what we are all running at home.

You don't need an overly grunty machine. Anything under 3-4 years should be sweet and will do the job unless you're going to be running streaming over your network.

Cheers,

Asus PRIME Z370-P
    Core i7-8700K @ 5.0GHz (XMP)
    Corsair Hydro H100x
    16GB Klevv BOLT X Gaming 3200MHz DDR4
    Intel 660P 512GB M.2 NVMe
    Crucial P1 1TB M.2 NVMe
    Seagate Barracuda 4TB SATA
    GTX 1660 SUPER OC
    Corsair Crystal 460X
    Corsair TX650M

I used to run a server. Then I pwned off my networking hardware to buy newer PC stuff since the PC users in my family are so tech limited it wasn't worth it.

No someone has got an iTouch and the blasted little rotten apple refuses to work unless I take wireless N back to 150mb/s. Wrecks havoc on HD media streaming.

Anyway, wired or wireless? Wired it should be fine with a 100mbps NIC however for that added headroom (and if all/most of the other connected devices support it) you could get a Gigabit card.

With wireless get a N compatible Router and NIC for nice smooth HD video streaming and fast file sharing however if its just file sharing 54mbps over the common G mode should be fine.

Space is an easy solution should you need to expand.

Processor does not have to be ultra quick. generally anything over 3GHz will suit most home user applications
    Last edited by The Error Guy; 05-01-2011 at 04:19 PM.
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

An old sod

Hey you guys great stuff but you troops are techos (and good on ya) but would like to get something off the shelf if could!
    "Why work on Wednesday and stuff up two good long weekends"
    W10 Home 64-bit,Intel Core i7 @ 3.20GHz,RAM 16GB, ROG STRIX B360-I GAMING (LGA1151),PHL 257E7 (1920x1080@60Hz),4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti (EVGA), 1TB SSD, 4TB HDD, 4TB USB SSD.

I'd hold off for a little bit, the next version of WHS is due out in the first 6 months of this year.

Computer Technician

Quote Originally Posted by Alex B View Post
    I'd hold off for a little bit, the next version of WHS is due out in the first 6 months of this year.
    The only problem with that is it's going to be worse than the current version, because Microsoft has decided to remove drive extender from it. This means you can no longer just add another hard drive and extend the storage (see here http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/m...-product/10543).

So since the OP said this was something they wanted to do, I would suggest the current version is better.

I use an old Dell PC with nLited Windows XP Professional on it as my server

256MB RAM, 1.something GHz, 750GB HDD attached to a PCI SATA controller.
    "He who resorts to personal insults hath lost the argument."

Twitter

I use an old pentium4 computer with XP home, no monitor controlled via teamviewer. I just setup a drive for backups and another for media and everything else talks to it when I need to access files, was going to install some server software but for home use decided it wasn't worth the cost since the old computer cost me nothing. I just reinstalled XP when I got it

I've just rebuilt my 5.5 TB WHS server as a W2k8 server with Hyper-V. I did it because of the WHSv2 (Vail) loosing the Drive extender and as when I built my system I put in 8GB of ram and an AMD 5000 Dual core CPU. But this is because I intended to virtualise a few machines.

So with the rebuilt system I have WHSv1 as a VM with physical control of a 2x2tb drive and a 1.5. The W2k8 has a 1Tb drive for VMs - of which it also runs a Windows 7 a Windows 2003 server and a linux machine.

I don't have desktop any more, just the virtualised Windows 7 which I access via a work laptop.
    Interests: PVRs, HTPCs, Apple IOS, Apple TV, Media Players, C#, Printing