Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snap Internet

Default Snap Internet

Hi all,
    I have been with slingshot for few years now and while I have never had huge issues and their broadband speeds have been at times little better than mediocre with peaks of 3.8Mb/s, in the last week I have experienced speeds as "high" as 0.83Mb/s.

After waiting the best part of 40 minutes to speak to a person in their technical department I was told that that was not too bad considering that connection speeds fluctuate.

While I can understand that speed and congestion can fluctuate, while my bill remains the same, I cannot accept those kind of speeds for 3 to 4 days in a row.

I was then put onto a customer service rep who sounded appalled at what I was just told and proceeded to divert me to another technician that would solve my problems. The technician in question tried a few settings and so on - you know the drill - and eventually directed me to the online form for advising of faults and issues, and told me that I would hear from their higher tier technical dept within 5 to 10 days.

So, off I went shopping and researching. I have researched Orcon, Telecom etc., and while Telecom is an attractive provider when it comes to pure speeds and reliability of services I found its pricing above my budget (and my ethcs), and read some derogatory posts about Orcon for it's speeds etc.

I then stumbled upon Snap Internet and had a chat with their customer service dept. Now, they sounded really promising and down to earth, however so where Slingshot a few years ago...

Has anyone here experienced the services of Snap, its speeds at various time of day/night/weekends?

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Default Re: Snap Internet

AFAIK they're reselling Xnet, but apparently their customer service is significantly better.
    Being that Xnet is renowned for being one to avoid, I'm unsure if that passes on down the line to their resellers, it's hard to know.

Orcons speeds have almost always been pretty good, and where they're not, it's *most* likely due to the exchange being congested in places where they're wholesaling from Telecom, and the exchange hasn't been upgraded to ADSL2+. Where they have their own gear (The + network I think?) or they're reselling from Telecom where the exchange / cabinet has been upgraded to ADSL2+, they're just fine. It's pretty much just Xnet / Slingshot that seem to be oversubscribing lately?
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

We have a account with snap. We have been with them since when they were first called iNet.

We have had no drama's with them.

They usually answser the phone within a reasonable time frame, anywhere from straight away to a few minutes if they are busy but the few times I have called, it has never been longer than 5 or 6 minutes probably.

We are on one of there first offered DSL plans, the plans have since changed and are displayed on there website. I beleive the costs shown include a snap phone account or another $10 if you don't want a phone number from them.

I cannot compare them to speed at other NZ networks, in fact I don't even know what speed we download at but large files tend to come down quick enough....for us anyway....and web pages usually load very quickly. Time of day doesn't seem to be a issue.

They have also started a option of I think full speed download between what ever hours at night.

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

I'm not sure they're continuing that now that WxC (Xnet) have discontinued their "torrent" plan, all the more reason to believe they're reselling Xnet, but I seem to remember you're right, and that there was such an offering.

And yes, the costs shown presume you also have your phone through them, or you can add an additional $10 to the prices displayed and have your phone line with somebody else, such as Telecom.
    PinoyKiw, could you fire up speedtest.net and see what you get from around NZ as well as the likes of Australia & the US?
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

My son had Naked DSL with Snap for a while, no issues and the helpdesk was good.

Xnet has got bad press with the slow speeds AH issue but I still don't think they have bad support.
    Better than the bigger ones.
    wipe your paws.

Thank you for your replies, quite informative. Especially the bit regarding Xnet from Chilling Silence.

I wouldn't be able to go an the naked dsl at this stage, being that I live in Hastings, therefore I would be looking at regular adsl with phone services too.

I am not sure whether the exchange I am nearest to has adsl+2 capability, however the nice person I spoke to on the phone ran a test of my line and came back with the results pasted below:

Hi,

As per our phone conversation here is some information on phone and broadband plans we have.

Your address 502 King Street South, Hastings has an expected line speed of around 5 - 10 Mbps download and 0.5 - 1 Mbps upload.

Phone is $45 a month + $2.70 for wire and maintenance insurance
    Plan C that you expressed interest in is $49.95 a month.

Obviously I am very, very interested in knowing averages of speeds, for I don't want to go from the pan (slingshot) to the fire; also considering that I would be locked in a 12 month contract with them at first.

If anyone currently receiving Snap's services could run a speedtest, as per Chilling Silence, then we could start comparing apples with apples.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Sanco View Post

Your address has an expected line speed of around 5 - 10 Mbps download

If anyone currently receiving Snap's services could run a speedtest, then we could start comparing apples with apples.
    That won't help.

It all depends on where they live, what exchange they run off and so on.
    wipe your paws.

You are probably right, but knowing various speeds at various places would help build some averages I guess.

Just so you know, I used to get anything between 3.5Mb/s to 6.4Mb/s up until recently and now I can only seem to be able to get 0.82 to 1.05Mb/s. So my line, exchange and all that should be up with specs, also considering that my neighbour on Telecom gets upwards to 7Mb/s on a regular basis from the same exchange.

I guess if I hear reliability and generally good speeds regardless of time of day would help.

These are the latest results (from the slingshot website by the way), and even if they have improved slightly I still think they are abysmal...

Last Result:
    Download Speed: 1409 kbps (176.1 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 748 kbps (93.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 49 ms
    Jitter: 4 ms
    Packet Loss: 0 %

Quote Originally Posted by Sanco View Post
    I used to get anything between 3.5Mb/s to 6.4Mb/s up until recently and now I can only seem to be able to get 0.82 to 1.05Mb/s. .
    So there is a fault.
    Either inside your place or out.
    wipe your paws.