Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Stripping cast Iron

I have decided to get on to one of my pump projects and finish (or start rather) restoring an old McEwans style bulldoze pump. So far I have got most of the oil and grease off it and i'm starting to work on the paint job. right now i'm using some sandpaper and a steel brush to get rid of the paint and light surface rust.

Of course sanding is not really a good option so what is a good way to get rid of paint and rust. Having a look around there are general metal paint/rust strippers that sound expensive. someone also mentioned soaking the metal in a hot caustic solution. That leads me to think, how hot? how caustic?

can anyone give any advise/solutions or recommend products? Preferably cheap but i'll end up doing what it takes I guess.

Cheers

About:
    The pump was partially buried in sand, as well as being on its side, these things have a large gearbox that is full of oil so most of the gearbox end is coated with a sandy oil mix that has baked on a bit resulting in a tacky tarry coating, most of that has gone now though

I plan to restore the pump so I can use it to pump water from the irrigation drains into the top dam (quite a height) and so I can free up the old diesel pump, which is a centrifugal pump and more suited for applications that require a constant water flow.

Thanks for any help.
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

Default Re: Stripping cast Iron

Not beig funny, but, Coca Cola cleans old coins.PJ
    Deafness.
    When I was younger I heard but didn't listen.
    Now I am older, I listen but cannot hear.

If it is not broke, don't make it broker by trying to make it better. (This applies specifically to PJ)

Would complete stripping and sandblasting be an option?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    Would complete stripping and sandblasting be an option?
    I was thinking about sandblasting when I first acquired the pump, I might have a look to get a quote, problem is it's bloody heavy. i'm just wondering whether its practical or not
    The Master Of Deception

>~~ i7 Sandy Bridge 2630QM 2.0GHz ~~ 4GB RAM ~~ATI 6770M 1Gb~~ 640gb Pri HDD 1tb Secnd~~<

Quote Originally Posted by Poppa John View Post
    Not beig funny, but, Coca Cola cleans old coins.PJ
    This is one helluva coin! I'd just drink the coke (its got enough chemicals to be called a stripper though)

Cheers PJ
    The Master Of Deception

Its ok I am from Motueka. prefect's Avatar

How big is it?
    Be best to pull it apart and sandblast it but I guess you dont want to pay for new seals if you can get them.
    I bought a $30 blaster fron super cheep auto use sand from the beach after sieving and drying it to do smallish jobs. But need a grunty compressor 3 phase to keep up with air demand
    Its amazing how Potatoes give us chips,fries and Vodka.

Get your s*** together every other vegetable.

What about steam cleaning?

Andrews Paint Brush and Roller Cleaner (or equivalent) will easily shift paint and congealed oil & grease. I use it for all sorts of cleaning tasks around the Man-Shed, including glueing plastics!.

Apply it with a paint brush, leave for a while (keep it refreshed though, it evaporates fairly quickly) and scrape/wire-brush off the residues. It is not expensive and is water clean-up. It doesn't work as well on some very hard but thin paint coatings, but it still shifts them, just needs more elbow grease.

Keep the breeze behind you while using it though, or you'll be found wandering down Main Street naked and singing disgusting stag-night drinking songs as it is rather volatile. Breathing it for too long or in an enclosed space is a mind-altering experience.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Be best to pull it apart and sandblast it but I guess you dont want to pay for new seals if you can get them.
    All ready dismantled, seals shot to bits anyway. It used to be a sand trap pump, long story short, the cups and piston were scratched to bits, I might get a new one machined! its not that big, just heavy. I also need to get a new cam and gears as I think it was run with sand in the gearbox, gears are almost worn through. I'm getting an air compressor to paint the house with (hiring) so i might just get a big one, depends what the most practical solution is

What about steam cleaning?
    Steam might get the oil, I have a wallpaper steamer I could use bit I doubt the paint will come off with that

Andrews Paint Brush and Roller Cleaner (or equivalent) will easily shift paint and congealed oil & grease. I use it for all sorts of cleaning tasks around the Man-Shed, including glueing plastics!.
    I might give that a go, either that or i'll give these people a bell http://www.steamsand.co.nz/

Cheers for input guys!
    The Master Of Deception

An industrial steam cleaner is a cross between a steam cleaner and a pressure washer, so not quite like a wallpaper steamer at all. Often used by mechanics (in the UK especially) to clean crud from an engine prior to working in it