Default DNS got me scratching my head

Maybe I bit off more than I can chew for once.

I have a client with a couple of domains, and a publicly available DNS server that he would like to be authoritative for these domains.

I went in to the CP for the domains and pointed the "name server" for the records to my clients DNS server, and set up appropriate records on the server, however when I try to query (using googles DNS servers - 8.8.4.4) using nslookup some time later it says that it can't find the domain - "non-existant domain" or what ever.

Have I missed something? is there something else that needs to be done to allow a server to become authoritative for a domain (without actually having to apply to sell domains and what-not)?

Default Re: DNS got me scratching my head

If you've queried it before, the NXDOMAIN result may be cached - this should clear within a few hours; how long depends on the settings used by the previous servers.

It's also worth pointing out that if the servers are inside the domain they are authoritative for (e.g. ns1.yourdomain.com serving authoritative dns for yourdomain.com), then you will need to get your registrar to organise glue records, otherwise nobody can find your server.

Any chance you could post (or PM to me) the domain, and the names / IPs of the new servers?
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.