Default Magazine subscriptions

Received a renewal notice for magazine and online subscription.
    The subscription expires 31-12-2010 but I am told it is "due for renewal 18-11-2010".
    Is it unreasonable to ask for payment so far in advance? They publish the magazine in December and next time is February.
    I reckon that payment on 30-12-2010 should ensure my online access to content and also allow enough time to post my February magazine.
    There is a disturbing trend for asking for payment well in advance and I'm worried that if it continues the supermarket may start asking me to pay for next month's groceries in advance!
    Either go where you're looking or look where you're going!

Default Re: Magazine subscriptions

Quote Originally Posted by coldot View Post
    Received a renewal notice for magazine and online subscription.
    The subscription expires 31-12-2010 but I am told it is "due for renewal 18-11-2010".
    Is it unreasonable to ask for payment so far in advance? They publish the magazine in December and next time is February.
    I reckon that payment on 30-12-2010 should ensure my online access to content and also allow enough time to post my February magazine.
    There is a disturbing trend for asking for payment well in advance and I'm worried that if it continues the supermarket may start asking me to pay for next month's groceries in advance!
    It isn't the consumer magazine is it? The period you pay for should continue for the full year. So if you subscription expires on the 31st of december, then that is the date your access should be cut off.

IIRC, Consumer Online an the magazine don't necessarily have coinciding subscription expiry dates. Check with them if this is the case....

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Hmm not aware that my sub to the wilderness mag has run out yet the November edition hasn't arrived although did see it in the shop today

Well, the problem is that everything is computerised these days, and you know what computers have done for efficiency.

On a more serious note, they may be keen to get the notice to people before they disappear on holiday.

On a more serious note, they may be keen to get the notice to people before they disappear on holiday.
    Yes, a good idea. But if I'm not going on holiday I should be allowed to renew whenever I wish up to the end of subscription. Maybe they are going on holiday and need to borrow my money for 6 weeks!

The 'request' looks more like a demand and it certainly implies that 18 November is the "due date". I recall that one previous year they cut off my internet access to their site because I hadn't paid 6 weeks in advance - and then they had to allow me back in when I pointed out that my subscription was still valid.
    Either go where you're looking or look where you're going!

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    Hmm not aware that my sub to the wilderness mag has run out yet the November edition hasn't arrived although did see it in the shop today
    Arrived today about a week and half late