Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just Wondering

Default Just Wondering

What is the purpose of 64 bit IE. It can't be made the default. My computer always boots to 32 bit.
    I have several items that will not run in 64 bit. Does it 64 bit serve any purpose?
    Jack GOF.

Pedantic & Cynical Member Snorkbox's Avatar

Default Re: Just Wondering

I'm not sure what you are asking really. I am running IE9 Beta 64 bit as my default browser. If I run FF it asks me if I want to make it default. If I make FF default then when I next run IE 9 64 it complains it is not default so I can then make it the default.

Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by JJJJJ View Post
    What is the purpose of 64 bit IE. It can't be made the default. My computer always boots to 32 bit.
    I have several items that will not run in 64 bit. Does it 64 bit serve any purpose?
    The purpose of x64 bit in to enable more than 4gb of memory to the CPU and allow for additional instructions to run with every cycle of the processor. Anything that doesnt run in x64 will run in emulated 32 bit mode.

The benefits of over 4gb of memory allow you to run dual GPU with larger memory (1Gb+) plus system memory giving you a smoother gaming experience.
    Your computer ALWAYS boots to 64 bit not 32.....As for x64bit IE, Im not sure, perhaps if you had over 50 tabs it might use more than 4gb, but I wouldnt be worry about using the 32 bit version over the 64 bit one!
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Funny. My computer always boots to 32 bit IE. If I switch to 64 bit a card pops up telling me 64 bit can not be default.
    I'm not sure of the 4 mb limit with 32 bit. I always play FSX in 32 bit and it tells me I am using 8 gb's of ram and 4 gigs in reserve!
    I have two 480 video cards in SLI and two large monitors. If I was limited to 4 gb I doubt if the computer would run. Skype, teamspeak, and track IR are also running.
    Surely there is a difference in running the computer in 32 bit and using a 32 bit version of IE.
    Jack GOF.

The only thing with using 64 bit of IE, is if UAC is enabled and protected mode is enabled in IE, it can cause probs. And its pretty restrictive. It kind of locks itself down. I suppose its the same reason there's a x86 folder in 64 bit (so 32 bit versions of whatever can install). People probably didnt use 64 bit IE anyway, since there was no 64 bit version of flash (till now)

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

It's for those flash-games that want to use more than 4GB of RAM ... Oh wait, that's right, 64-bit Flash is only for Linux, not IE

Jack,

To try and explain in a different manner:-

You have a 64 bit capable CPU which allows you to run a 64 bit operating system OR a 32 bit operating system or for that matter you could dual boot a 32 and 64 but you can't run both at the same time.

The advantage in having a 64 bit O/S is purely so that programs will be able to access more RAM than with a 32 bit O/S. As you will have noticed by now FSX currently is not ported to 64 bit and therefore will not take advantage of 64 bit technology as yet.

Your PC does not boot into any particular version of Internet Explorer. IE is an application that runs under the O/S and has a 64 bit and a 32 bit version. It is admitted that IE is fairly heavily embedded in the Operating system however. I don't know if this helps you or not but at this stage I can't really see any real advantage in using the 64 bit version of IE over the 32 bit version.

Actually youre wrong, flash is out for IE 64 bit now

Quote Originally Posted by Chilling_Silence View Post
    It's for those flash-games that want to use more than 4GB of RAM ... Oh wait, that's right, 64-bit Flash is only for Linux, not IE
    Clippity clop, clippity clop. Do I hear a troll approaching??????????????

Billy Goat Gruff exits stage left!

Not to hijack this thread but my download of Ubuntu 10.10 just finished. The 64 bit version so I will go play with that.
    Last edited by Snorkbox; 12-10-2010 at 11:23 AM.