Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Local computer shops miss out

Hi Guys

One of my hard drives gave up the other day.

I decided to get a new 1.5TB drive to use as my D: for my data. (up from my present-ex 1TB)

I live in Tauranga and usually get my stuff from elive or Arche.

I deceded that it was urgent so I thought I was drive to town and pick one up. So I phoned Dick Smith and they only have 250 gig internal drives.

I phoned two local computer stores, one had hardly any drives in stock as it was the end of the month, the other only had a 250 gig drive.

So I orderded from elive.

So these shops must be missing out on lots of business.
    So what colour is your Adkaf?
    Have you joined Proud to Be Kiwi yet?

Default Re: Local computer shops miss out

Most people probably dont buy 1.5 TB hdds, so the local shop/s dont stock them. And it would be a waste of money stocking them (anywhere), if no-one brought them.Its like 4 GB sticks of ram, they're pretty rare around here. Thats why most of the shops dont stock them. it'd probably cost too much for most people. And if the shop ordered some (BUT no-one brought them), the shop would probably lose money
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 29-09-2010 at 12:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digby View Post
    Local computer shops miss out

thought I was drive to town and pick one up. So I phoned Dick Smith and they only have 250 gig internal drives.
    Dick Smith isn't a computer shop, and they sure aren't local either.
    wipe your paws.

Pedantic & Cynical Member Snorkbox's Avatar

Did you ever consider Digby, that as you do not NORMALLY buy locally, that the Computer shops do not NORMALLY stock items just for the odd time that YOU decide it happens to be urgent?

Or is this concept too difficult for you to understand?

Just the other day I felt an urgent need for one of those thingies in your Avatar but for some reason the supplier does not appear to have an outlet where I live. I suddenly decided it was not as urgent as I first thought.

Computer Tech

I don't usually keep HDD's in stock, or anything really for that matter, as I can get stuff up overnight from suppliers.
    9/10 people are happy to wait and those that can't wait we probably don't want to deal with them anyway.

For a low turnover item, if they did stock them, their prices would have be a lot higher to cover the cost of capital sitting on the shelf instead of in the bank, and also the cost of unsold stock going obsolete.

You would also then buy from elive because of the cheaper price...

Good local service relies on good local customers.
    Gonna blend into the background Gonna float me out to sea
    the Mighty Waves of Nothing Much are washing over me

Computer Tech

And good luck getting it repaired/replaced by elive if something happens to the HDD under warranty!

Need more power

Most retailers cannot afford to hold a lot of stock esp anything that can devalue fast due to price drop.

The disadvantage with Tauranga is it has no Wholesalers, well that I can think of. Many retailers in Auck/Welly/Chch will get stock same day as required for customers.

Intel I7 920@4.0 GHz (1.25V), Nvidia GTX580 OC 1.5GB, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (1366),Megashadow 2x120mm low speed fans,6 gig Ram (1600), Intel X25-M 80gig G2 SSD & 2x1TB Seagate, Win7

Quote Originally Posted by CYaBro View Post
    I don't usually keep HDD's in stock, or anything really for that matter, as I can get stuff up overnight from suppliers.
    9/10 people are happy to wait and those that can't wait we probably don't want to deal with them anyway.
    Basically the same I do carry the odd commonly used drive in stock, often I will have the odd 250, 320 and sometimes a 500 GB laying about, but they are also usually sold within a month from purchasing.

IF I need a particular HDD URGENTLY - then I can get it from my wellington Supplier within 45 Minutes.
    One thing positive about Windows 10 is that there is never a dull moment anymore on ye olde computer

What about Tauranga Computers 177 Eleventh Avenue just down the road from McDonalds.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD