Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Another Free Wood Day

Nice post SJ - thanks for sharing. Your North American forests are interstingly different to the NZ ones that I work in!

pcsourcepoint

Thanks for info SJ, at one time NZ had a "wall of wood", making it difficult to export in it's raw state. But maybe NZ forestry companies should have had a scheme similar to the US, for tree taking. But shareholder driven, and thus special wood processing plant/techniques were developed/enhanced (e.g. CHH Wood Products) to transform the excess wood, and of which International Paper from the US become a major player here in NZ.

Your San Bernadino map is from California? But yet your home pics are in Winconsin? You also traveled between the two to get wood?
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kahawai chaser View Post
    Your San Bernadino map is from California? But yet your home pics are in Winconsin? You also traveled between the two to get wood?
    Ahem!

San Bernardino is both a county and a city - but they are both quite a distance from me here in Riverside County - in the city of Anza. (Riverside County also has a city by the same name just to make it more confusing)

The San Bernardino Mountains, however cross a few different counties, including Riverside and San Bernardino. I also believe they cross LA and possibly go into Ventura Counties too - but that is just a guess for me at the mo.

So - I don't live in Wisconsin, but there were some pixs of trees that I pulled from general tree pixs and they might have been in Wisconsin.

Expanding outward from my front porch I live an IN Anza, IN the County of Riverside, IN the State of California and you know the rest.

I am also IN the San Bernardino Mountains, although the city/county of that same name are somewhat distant to me here.

The actual tree'd areas here around me where I live are not indicative of the vast forests in the US as a whole and are really quite small in size and trivial in nature.

The whole Northwest US is crawling in trees if the Chinese and the Koreans haven't dropped them all and hauled them to their countries and made inferior wood products out of them and sent them here as furniture, OSB and plywood.

Typically our coniferous trees start good growth at about 5,500 feet above sea level, although they can be enticed to grow at lower altitudes. At that height, the deciduous trees start thinning out and they are mostly non-existent above 6,000 feet.

Where we were cutting those pines, we still had Live- Black- Red and Scrub-Oaks all around us, although the Scrub-Oaks were getting pretty thin.

Manzanita and Red Shank were also almost gone at that altitude too, but they prosper here around me.

I'll take- and post some pixs of them in a bit.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Talking Re: Another Free Wood Day

OK - I've created a new Picasa album of pixs just around my yard and out to the driveway and around the circle of the property here.

There are a lot of different trees and some desert foliage like YUCCA and other succulents like Mickey-Mouse Cactus and some sage.

The season is changing and the trees are (many of them, anyway) in Fall colors and they are losing their leaves for the onset of our cold season.

The leaves are really hitting the ground now and covering everything. My Koi ponds are filling up too and I've gotta net them out all the time. One of the ponds I'm not showing as it has a screen over it to keep frogs out that were eating my Koi babies.

The fruit trees are ALMOST ready to harvest and I've got to do so before the first real frost. We were at 42ºF (@4.5ºC) yesterday morning and although today got to 100ºF (human core-temperature) it will get cooler every night from now on. Snow is not expected until November if the Mexican Express doesn't blow hot air up through the Baja.

We've got two different kinds of pears, about six kinds of apples and some almonds and grapes - although I never had time to work on the grape vines so they won't produce well if at all.

I just walked around the property expecting to find a tarantula to show you, but I think they've all found their women for the season and either were eaten or killed by their mates - or they got their women taken away by a Tarantula Hawk - which is a giant wasp that can actually fly off with a fairly good-sized spider to lay it's eggs in it's abdomen and use the spider for food for the hatching baby hawks. This I have seen a few times.

The Tarantula hawk is relatively docile and rarely stings without provocation.

However the sting, particularly of Pepsis formosa, is among the most painful of any insect, but the intense pain only lasts for about 3 minutes.

Commenting on his own experience, one researcher described the pain as "…immediate, excruciating pain that simply shuts down one's ability to do anything, except, perhaps, scream.

Mental discipline simply does not work in these situations.
    " In terms of scale, the wasp's sting is rated near the top of the Schmidt Sting Pain Index, second only to that of the bullet ant and is described by Schmidt as "blinding, fierce [and] shockingly electric".

Because of their extremely large stingers, very few animals are able to eat them; one of the few animals that can is the roadrunner.
    Beep Beep!

Enjoy. I can take a 'walkabout' video if you like when the sun comes back up. Youse guys get the sun now - treat it nicely, I want it back!

Here's the link to the Picasa Album ::: LINK HERE

yeah, i agree with you, and thanks for SurferJoe46's nice job.

pcsourcepoint

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46 View Post
    Ahem!

San Bernardino is both a county and a city - but they are both quite a distance from me here in Riverside County - in the city of Anza. (Riverside County also has a city by the same name just to make it more confusing)

The San Bernardino Mountains, however cross a few different counties, including Riverside and San Bernardino. I also believe they cross LA and possibly go into Ventura Counties too - but that is just a guess for me at the mo.

So - I don't live in Wisconsin, but there were some pixs of trees that I pulled from general tree pixs and they might have been in Wisconsin.

Expanding outward from my front porch I live an IN Anza, IN the County of Riverside, IN the State of California and you know the rest.

I am also IN the San Bernardino Mountains, although the city/county of that same name are somewhat distant to me here.

The actual tree'd areas here around me where I live are not indicative of the vast forests in the US as a whole and are really quite small in size and trivial in nature.

The whole Northwest US is crawling in trees if the Chinese and the Koreans haven't dropped them all and hauled them to their countries and made inferior wood products out of them and sent them here as furniture, OSB and plywood.

Typically our coniferous trees start good growth at about 5,500 feet above sea level, although they can be enticed to grow at lower altitudes. At that height, the deciduous trees start thinning out and they are mostly non-existent above 6,000 feet.

Where we were cutting those pines, we still had Live- Black- Red and Scrub-Oaks all around us, although the Scrub-Oaks were getting pretty thin.

Manzanita and Red Shank were also almost gone at that altitude too, but they prosper here around me.

I'll take- and post some pixs of them in a bit.

OK - Makes sense, I forgot about Counties, which can be huge, compared to regions here in NZ. The only County I remember, was "Cade's" County, a popular TV show in the early 70's with Glen Ford, which look similar in your pics. I also remember a US Forestry CEO from IP telling me, that he reckons that some of their County/Metro areas are about half the size of our North Island...
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Woo hoo! Love watchin' a man with a chainsaw! (except in Texas)

LL
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

Quote Originally Posted by lakewoodlady View Post
    Woo hoo! Love watchin' a man with a chainsaw! (except in Texas)

LL
    Next time I'll sweat a little more for ya!

I actually take it pretty easy and let the younger guys take all the really heavy weight work. I just zoom in for the kill on logs that I can easily reach and cut.

I'm old - and I know how to use it.