Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Talking Another Free Wood Day

This time with a video of me gassing up and adding bar oil to the chainsaw for the next cuts after lunch.

YOUTUBE VID HERE

Here I had a tight chain:: YOUTUBE LINK

Some more pixs of the day. PICASA LINK HERE.

Look like I'll have more than enough wood for the Winter now what with what I got left over and got in the past two weekend journeys.

Photographer is my step-son David.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6723.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	73.7 KB 
ID:	1736   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_6726.JPG 
Views:	65 
Size:	83.3 KB 
ID:	1737  
    Last edited by SurferJoe46; 12-09-2010 at 05:06 PM.

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?

Default Re: Another Free Wood Day

Some nice scenery there Joe.
    Meh....

No chaps, no helmet, no earmuffs? Also, putting your foot under a log you're sawing while kneeling? You need to take Chainsawing 101 imo.

Also, get one of these.

pcsourcepoint

Nice pics SJ in Picassa. I have not really touched a chain saw for over 25 years, when I was in Kaingaroa Forest doing a bit of summer work with a few Uncles of mine. The trees were Pinus Radiata, and I think the pine forest was the largest in the world back then. A Canadian firm Crown - Zeller (something) brought shares later (I think), and with another major Forest company: NZFP - New Zealand Forest Products. Later on I got involved in Pulp and Paper engineering/mechanical testing. Back then it was all about trees/wood/pulp/paperboard as a major export product, earner, and employer for NZ.

The pics remind me when I was in Kaingaroa in the mid - late 70's (and sweating hard). But we had a local lake for a dip - Lake "Rerewhakaaitu" (don't know what the maori translation is - but it's tricky to pronounce for some; but now a doc wildlife reserve). It's situated south of the more popular and tourist based Rotorua lakes.

But now only contractors are on call (I think), as the entire work force were laid off about 1982. What trees are those in the pics? What's the cc rating and the brand of the chainsaw? Did you use a winch (e.g. the US Warn Winch), What's the name of your local lake? Had to ask - just reminds me so much being in a forest back then...

But don't know if we can go chop up a tree over here, without some sort of permit or permission...
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 12-09-2010 at 07:22 PM. Reason: typo
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Nice pics Joe

Free things from the government maybe ...... but you don't actually say whether the government know you're taking these things Joe

VoidMaster

Of course it's totally legit surely you know SurferJoe by now, see here:

http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?t=112239
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

Quote Originally Posted by SurferJoe46
    All this before lunch too.
    So it was morning wood?
    My shutdown application

Call me Angel Nob Bobstickles. The baking vending builder who can't fix it.

Quote Originally Posted by bob_doe_nz View Post
    So it was morning wood?
    [This article is a stub]

Lol.

Smiling Down On Youse SurferJoe46's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kahawai chaser View Post
    Nice pics SJ in Picassa. I have not really touched a chain saw for over 25 years, when I was in Kaingaroa Forest doing a bit of summer work with a few Uncles of mine. The trees were Pinus Radiata, and I think the pine forest was the largest in the world back then. A Canadian firm Crown - Zeller (something) brought shares later (I think), and with another major Forest company: NZFP - New Zealand Forest Products. Later on I got involved in Pulp and Paper engineering/mechanical testing. Back then it was all about trees/wood/pulp/paperboard as a major export product, earner, and employer for NZ.

The pics remind me when I was in Kaingaroa in the mid - late 70's (and sweating hard). But we had a local lake for a dip - Lake "Rerewhakaaitu" (don't know what the maori translation is - but it's tricky to pronounce for some; but now a doc wildlife reserve). It's situated south of the more popular and tourist based Rotorua lakes.

But now only contractors are on call (I think), as the entire work force were laid off about 1982. What trees are those in the pics? What's the cc rating and the brand of the chainsaw? Did you use a winch (e.g. the US Warn Winch), What's the name of your local lake? Had to ask - just reminds me so much being in a forest back then...

But don't know if we can go chop up a tree over here, without some sort of permit or permission...
    The US Forest Service sets some 'free days' for people who want to take wood for their own use like heating or cooking - for the year.

As such, we took advantage of the law and got seven cords of wood for three families - mine, Dodge, and Jones.

Actually the Forest Service is the licensing agency and you can get a permit for tree taking all year long for about $20.00. It has several punch card areas on it and when you use them up, you can buy another punch card.

These past three weekends were, however, free and open to anyone without fee.

The actual fee is pretty nominal, and there's always a ranger on hand to help and direct (but not cut your wood) for you.

The trees that are take-able are marked with USFS blue paint and even the paint has some sort of micro-coding in it and if the blue paint on the tree isn't official, they will know it fast under special light.

We weren't subject to this inspection since we took only 'downers' and didn't have to fell a whole tree. I didn't bring my big saws anyway if I had to.

There are legal sizes of trees that can be cut - especially by type-of-tree. The White Firs can only be less than 18 inches in trunk diameter, measured one foot from the dirt. Even if they are diseased,- if they are over that size - the "Tree People" won't let them be taken. The USFS says that is a stupid rule, but the Tree People hold great sway here like most arcane liberals.

I don't believe that there is any commercial foresting for large companies in these mountains, although the privateers like ourselves, could never thin the forest as much as the agencies would like - so there's always a lot of 'drop-wood' for the taking nd that's up for grabs all the time, no fee.

There IS an active gold mine in the area though and we had to drive past it to the take-area.

The nearest lake is Lake Hemet, which is just to the North of our cutting zone, and although we never went into it it was there.

I was going to use the winch to take a really big 'downer' from a deep ravine, but we had a lot easier pickings. I keep a Warn Winch on the front of my Blazer for just that reason and several hundred feet of logging chain too.

Most of the saws I used these days were Homelite or Huskies. Used mostly were 22", 20" and a cute little "Barbie's Play Day" Poulon 12" for shingling.

Quote Originally Posted by SP8's View Post
    Free things from the government maybe ...... but you don't actually say whether the government know you're taking these things Joe
    Yeah - it's all permitted and controlled. There is always a forest ranger present, although he may not be in our vicinity at all times. We always drove up to his station and let him know we were in the area before we cut anything.

Google Maps Co-ordinates: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=33.61...z=14&t=h&hl=en

Interesting - we saw a mountain lion on the way home and she just trotted in front of us for about 100 yards, ignoring - but I am sure aware of - the cars behind her. She finally bounded into the woods and disappeared.

Now comes da fun part: re-cutting (shortening) and splitting the wood.

The wood we took was:
    This view is looking from about our front door to Thomas Mountain, were we we taking trees : http://www.panoramio.com/photo/6867721

Warum werden wir so früh alt und klug so spät?