Default DVD ROM drive versus CD RW drive

I have just installed a second hard drive. I now have two hard drives (one 5400 and one 7200 rpm), a DVD ROM 10x and a CD RW 4x8x32. I have two questions.

1. Should I install the hard drives on separate IDE cables? (I have heard the controller will slow everything down to the speed of the slowest device on that cable, effectively negating any advantage of the 7200 rpm drive)

2. If I install the two quickest devices on the primary IDE cable, which of the CD drives is the quickest? (i.e. which should I attach to the cable with the 7200 rpm drive?) If, of course, any of this makes any real difference...

Thanks for your help.

Default Re: DVD ROM drive versus CD RW drive

keep the cd and harddrives seperate.

dvd secondary master
    cdwriter secondary slave
    fastest harddrive(with os)primary master
    other harddrive primary slave

or get a ata card and put all on seperate channels

Default Re: DVD ROM drive versus CD RW drive

Thanks for that. It has all hooked up well and goes except for one hitch (everything is working but...)

In device manager under 'Hard Disk Controller' and 'Primary IDE Controller (dual FIFO)', there is a yellow circle with an exclamation mark. When queried, it comes up with the message 'This device is either not present, not working properly or does not have all the drivers installed (code 10)'

I tried reinstalling the drivers but it said that the most up to date ones are already installed.

Additionally, under the 'Disk Drives' entry, it has a small red cross over the sub entry 'Generic IDE Disk type 47'. When this is queried, the message comes up 'This device is not working properly as a device it depends on, Primary IDE Controller(dual FIFO), has been dynamically disabled. It directs me to view the properties of the Primary IDE controller (dual FIFO). This just sends me in a circle to above.

I then happened to look under the Performance tab and note that in the box it says that 'compatibility mode paging reduces overall performance' and also then goes on to say that all the disk and cdrom drives are using MS-Dos compatibility mode. When looking at the details, it talks about an unknown entry in my config.sys or autoexec.bat file. I disabled the config.sys and autoexec.bat entries and no difference made.

Alot I know - any ideas?