Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow Internet

Default Slow Internet

Hi All,

We moved from Telstra to Xnet about 4-5 months ago to avoid excessive data charges. Great success! I bought a Linksys WAG120N and have VOIP as the main phone (sometimes can be quite static, esp. the "Vacation express" cold-calls from India, which I don't mind so much ).

However, we've noticed that there's a HUGE variance in download rates. Was home mid morning the other day, did a speedtest and found 5Mb/s! However, anytime that you might want to go online it sits below 1Mb/s.

I've replaced the original line from the socket to the router, which helped quite a bit. I moved the router around the house a few times to see what effect different phone lines had with quite a bit more. This place is probably not more than 20 years old, but was done on the cheap (renting) so I wouldn't put too much faith in wiring.

I live about a five minute walk from the Wellington train station, where the exchange is. Still, I get latency of 69ms if I'm lucky, but usually 100-150ms. I'm a gamer and this (semi-literally) kills me...

I've tried out various modulation settings in the router but only ADSL2 seems to work. Wasn't very scientific about it though...

Is there anything I should be doing with my DNS or other router settings? Do I possibly need a new router? Anything else I should think about?

Thanks guys and gals.
    Last edited by Thebananamonkey; 02-09-2010 at 10:41 PM.
    Insert Witticism Here

Default Re: Slow Internet

That seems about right for Xnet, definitely slower in the evenings and at night

That's true. Not much you can do about that at night. Until Xnet fix it. Its been like that since mid 2007. Going to different sites isn't the prob, its downloading files.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that...

I'll send them an email just to voice my concern. Probably won't do anything, but will make me feel better.
    Insert Witticism Here

Wouldnt waste my time. I did that and told them their torrent plan is to blame. Since thats when it went crap (when it started). They havent / didn't do anything about it, (besides change the time for the torrent plan, so they say) since its still there 3 yrs later. They either need better servers, or NZ needs better BB (which is probably the cause, its crap as well)

I assume that Telstra goes through exactly the same cabinets though...

When I was with them they were extracting money at a frightening rate, but at least I got a consistent 2Mb/s+. The occasional 5Mb/s doesn't make up for 0.5Mb/s whenever I want to use it.

Has anyone had experience with Linksys WAG120N's before? I bought it because it was an N router/modem on special at Ascent and not on any particular advice. Wish I'd got a 54GL as most computers in the house are G anyway.
    Insert Witticism Here

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

No. Don't blanket blame that on NZ broadband. That ISP is oversubscribing their limited international connection. It's purely a cost thing for that particular ISP, they should just buy more bandwidth.

The WAG120N is pretty crap. Definitely recommend the 54GL over it
    Last edited by Chilling_Silence; 03-09-2010 at 04:22 PM.

My experience poor helpdesk, poor speed, poor phone. Geekzone have some very sorry stories about xnet.

Are there any ISPs around with similar plans?

Quite like the whole VOIP and $1/1GB all you can eat thing.

Am willing to change if I can get better speed for approximately the same price.

Don't mean to duplicate threads here, but the other one doesn't look like it's going anywhere fast.
    Insert Witticism Here

Hello,

I really hate the slow internet, which makes my work pending, i want fast internet.

Thanks,
    John Farris