Default What software would I put in a Brand New Computer

Hello PressF1,
    It's taken awhile but finaly I'm here... And its because of a new computer.

Its interesting reading trying to make sense of all the opinions today on whats the best setup for a good system... but that is the problem I am now faced. I have got myself a core quad and graphics card with 8GB of ram. More important I have an unopened 500GB hard drive and the question, where do I start?

I'd be very keen to hear some wise input with maybe a few reasons why,
    Thanks in advanced

pcsourcepoint

Default Re: What software would I put in a Brand New Computer

For software, I assume you are familiar that security protection is important. So antivirus/spyware/firewall/ad blockers/cleaners/system updates, etc are generally essential, as many on this forum will agree.

So maybe start with ccleaner, spybot (search and destroy), and Avast 5. I use different firewalls for trial testing, so can't really recommend one as yet. Currently using a simple one called Private Firewall 7. Their are others/alternatives security software/tools which others here will know more about and will suggest.

8 G's of ram? Man... Is that for intense gaming?
    Last edited by kahawai chaser; 14-08-2010 at 06:58 PM. Reason: typo
    Computer Tech Links (My Tutorials & Reviews)| Free MP3 Software Reviews (My Reviews)|I Student NZ (My Student Resoucre Tips)

Wanderer

I don't really install much now ..

Win updates, Win firewall, a antivirus, that's about it. Then software that you need.

I only get the stuff when I need them. There are some good stuff here.
    http://www.pressf1.co.nz/member.php?u=21335

Yup I havent installed a lot

Just ccleaner, Mirc for irc, Auslogics Defrag, since it can defrag more than one hdd at the same time, CDburnerXP for burning, PowerISO for editing ISO's (after I create ISO's to test in XP Mode). MSE for the virus scanner.

Skype for rellies, Teamviewer so I can check other PC's out, when people have probs. Office, FF for the browser. Winzip

I may install Paintshop pro x3, WinDVD, and Videostudio Pro x3 later

Thats about it

Pedantic & Cynical Member Snorkbox's Avatar

I'd start with an operating system, an Office suite, Photo manipulation, a Browser and Email, a firewall.

Wanderer

Well I got Ad Blocker, it's nice, they haven't really bothered me in the past thou

I tend to use Win7's free DVD player, CD/DVD burninng software, I just need the basics. WIndows Media might even convert to Mp3, I think it does copy Mp3 to traditional CD tracks thou, at least WinXP did.

Yeah some chatting software, MS Office of course Mobile phone software, GPS, bits and pieces like that. My photography. But gone are the days when we had noise reduction software, heck, these days I don't even have a recovery software. Pano's pretty good in Photoshop already, HDR not bad thou I prefer something else. Don't really use lens improvement software ..... I use Adobe Lightroom, much of the time cannot be bothered.