Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Are Geekzone serious?

Just got this e-mail from them:

Hello!

We noticed you have just visited Geekzone with an Ad Block. Geekzone is completely supported by our advertisers and subscribers. It would help us a lot if you could put Geekzone in your Ad Block whitelist.

Thanks
    Yeah right. Tui billboard material?

Jeez, PressF1 will probably be next. . . . . .

Got a natural pearl in my calloused hand
    ...Saved for the girl who could really understand
    ......What it takes to see
    .........The gold from the alchemy

Default Re: Are Geekzone serious?

I imagine that that email server will be busy flicking out emails to just about every geek that visits.

Anyone with two clues to rub together will have some form of ad-blocking in place - who wants to see ads?

Is there a usable return email address to which you can send an appropriately worded reply?

EDIT: There's a thread about it on Geekzone too..
    Last edited by johcar; 02-08-2010 at 10:06 AM.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

if i didnt block the ads on PF1, i wouldn't go on it as much.

i didnt realise that they charge to get rid of ads, seems like they could lose some members possibly???.

if people want the ads thats their perogitive, but i cant imagine that group would be significant.....
    Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... That's what gets you.

JOIN THE FREE FORUMS!!!!!!

I think the point is that Geekzone relies on advertising revenue to exist, and if everyone uses adblockers, the advertising revenue will drop off.

The silly thing is that for a site to get revenue from advertising, a user has to click on an ad. I can't remember when I last clicked on an internet ad... even when I wasn't using an adblocker.

It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument. -William G. McAdoo, lawyer and politician (1863-1941)

Kitten's Lair, Fortified Bunker, 300m below ground

The thing is this site exists to complement a publication, not for a community of it's own. This place is itself an advertisement to go out and buy a copy of PC World (while I know 90% of the regulars here haven't picked one up in years).

Also, a lot of the posts in the help forum are one offs. And this place does not have a "huge" community. There are maybe 20-30-odd regulars here who post day in day out. This is significantly different from GZ.

However, that being said, were this a self sustaining community, I would, just as others have, donate in one way in another. After all we have several affiliated domains funded by the members, there would not nothing wrong with enforcing ads and subscriptions. If you don't like it - leave, you have a choice.
    Who was the first that forged the deadly blade?
    Of rugged steel his savage soul was made.

morgenmuffel

fair enough i think, the ads on geekzone were a never too intrusive so i don't really see an issue, its not as if they prevent you from accessing the site
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

Quote Originally Posted by johcar View Post
    I think the point is that Geekzone relies on advertising revenue to exist, and if everyone uses adblockers, the advertising revenue will drop off.
    GZ's response to that is that their ad revenue is per view.

Before Adblock I used Proxomitron. Prox could download the ad but substitute so you didn't see it. The answer to that is that eventually the amount paid to webmasters falls as the effectiveness drops.

Quote Originally Posted by Morgenmuffel View Post
    fair enough i think, the ads on geekzone were a never too intrusive so i don't really see an issue, its not as if they prevent you from accessing the site

static banner top bottom and sides I can handel, but when they are in the post them selves & animated it gets OTT and kills the flow of the thred. Other sites, such as reddit.com I keep it disabled as it helps their community and they don't go over the top.
    Last edited by Alex B; 02-08-2010 at 01:35 PM.

Kitten's Lair, Fortified Bunker, 300m below ground

Quote Originally Posted by Alex B View Post
    static banner top bottom and sides I can handel, but when they are in the post them selves & animated it gets OTT and kills the flow of the thred. Other sites, such as reddit.com I keep it disabled as it helps their community and they don't go over the top.
    If it bothers you so damn much get a subscription, if you want it free live with the ads: beggars can't be choosers buddy.
    Who was the first that forged the deadly blade?
    Of rugged steel his savage soul was made.

Am I the only one that doesn't use any ad blockers add ons. I use FF and don't get any pop ups, the pages load fast enough and I don't even really notice the ads, on Pf1 and GZ.