Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Default Any Opticians out there?

Three or four years ago I had to get some graduated Glasses at a cost of some $800.

All has been fine until lately when the right lens appears blurry at the 0.5 -1 metre range. Cleaning them as one normally does has no effect so I took a closer look with my quite high power magnifying headset (used fruitlessly trying to fix PC Boards) and find there is what looks like an eclipse of the sun in the middle of the lens.

Closer inspection suggests that this may be caused by a protective coating having worn through after years of cleaning.

Given that $800 equates to 145 Handles down the local Iím keen to fix them myself.

#8 wire doesnít seem appropriate on this occasion, so all suggestions considered.

Default Re: Any Opticians out there?

Don't be put off by the title http://www.39dollarglasses.com/index.html

As for your own glasses - try using Brasso on the lens.
    A married man should forget his mistakes. There's no use in two people remembering the same thing!

If you have lenses with a greenish or golden 'bloom' to the reflections on the lens surface, then you have got lenses with an anti-reflection-coating (MAR or AR coat).

These coatings are delicate, and are usually the first feature to fail.
    It may be that you've scrubbed through the coating (it's extremely thin, and has to thin - a one-quarter of a wavelength in thinckness)

Alternativelty, the coating may be stripping away from the lens (delaminating) or crazing, which is harder to see, but shows as lots of tiny cracks throughout the coating.

Anyway, unless you know how to vaporize on a new 1/4 wavelength layer of this special material, then you can abandon the #8 wire approach. It'll only get worse, and in order to keep the 'bloom' on the right and left lenses matching, you will probably need to replace both lenses.

I wouldn't recommend that any computer boffins go without the coating.

And lastly, at 3 or 4 years since they were done, it's highly likely that your near focus has weakened further (unless you were in the 60-70 age range when they were prescribed), so the blur just might be plain old routine eye correction being due.

If you go get an eye test so you have a new prescription then order from here:
    http://www.zennioptical.com/home.php

Quote Originally Posted by B.M. View Post
    Three or four years ago I had to get some graduated Glasses at a cost of some $800.
    http://www.specsavers.co.nz/

# FREE Contact Lenses when you buy glasses
    # 2 pairs of Designer single vision glasses from $249
    # Complete glasses from $79
    # 2 pairs single vision glasses from $199
    # 2 pairs progressive glasses from $399
    # 2 pairs kids glasses from $199
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    http://www.specsavers.co.nz/

# FREE Contact Lenses when you buy glasses
    # 2 pairs of Designer single vision glasses from $249
    # Complete glasses from $79
    # 2 pairs single vision glasses from $199
    # 2 pairs progressive glasses from $399
    # 2 pairs kids glasses from $199
    The key word in there is FROM. Apparently very few people end up getting the advertised prices once they have seen the selection that it applies to, and been fed the 'upgrades' to get to a semi decent lens product.

They don't halve the price if you only want one pair either, as their entire operation is built around selling loads of their frames, whether you need that second pair or not.

If the OP is considering SpecSavers I'd encourage him to get prices (quotes) for the frame of his choice, with multifocal and AR coating included in order to get close to a product comparable to what he's had.
    I strongly doubt he'll find the price is anywhere near the $399 mentioned above.

It's a bit like comparing getting two 200MHz Pentiums to replace a dead P4. Sounds good until you dig a bit deeper and understand the offerings. Works as you'd expect. Ok for some tasks, less than wonderful for other tasks.
    Anybody want an old Pentium? Works fine!

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Paul.Cov View Post
    The key word in there is FROM.
    OPSM advertises some good specials before Specsavers came in. But I have visited them, some of the frames are quite pricey eh ... You might get a small selection. I have single vision lenses.

NZ does not have free eye checks than some other countries. They have this machine where you look down and it auto gets your settings and then you go into a room for them to fine tune it. NZ seems to do everything in the room and don't invest into maybe $$ equipment. Perhaps from the less customers they get. It's like a studnet discount, many want $50 for a eyetest then you add the frames and the lenses. Generally $120 each so $240 all up, if nicer frames maybe add $100-150 more. The lenses should have a coat, if you want high index lenses which they will try to sell you, like this is 15% clearer, no/less reflections, thinner, lighter it's another $120 more and the eye test

Still cheaper, and stuff frames, when I got mine, I picked cheap frames.
    wipe your paws.

Go to the Optician.

Pay the $50 for the test and get a copy of same.

Go to Post #2 and purchase from the USA.

Delivery within 7 to 10 days.

You won't be sorry

Save hundreds$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    Go to the Optician.

Pay the $50 for the test and get a copy of same.

Go to Post #2 and purchase from the USA.

Delivery within 7 to 10 days.

You won't be sorry

Save hundreds$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
    they don't seem to have branded stuff right? would be good to try frames on in nz and then get the exact same one from overseas. so it fits propertly.