Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    morgenmuffel
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Putaruru
    Posts
    2,905

    Default Customers domain expired - How to recover domain

    Ok i got an email from a client saying his site had vanished from the net,

    So I investigated and found his domain had expired, according to him he has received no emails telling him to renew and he has no login,

    I looked at the whois for the account,

    and he is listed as the registrar of the domain but the admin and technical contact are listed as the former designer, when he tried to recover a password it was sent to the former designer, is he going to be able to get hold of the domain, or is he going to need to deal with the former designer who i assume is the account holder

    the domain is listed as cancelled
    Last edited by Morgenmuffel; 24-06-2010 at 08:02 PM.
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

  2. #2
    Computer "Specialist" Agent_24's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    64 Bitville
    Posts
    14,323

    Default Re: Customers domain expired - How to recover domain

    I guess the former designer was the one who received the emails about expiry, and I also assume he did not care\notice

    No idea if there's anything specific you'd do in this situation...
    Non-system disk or disk error. Replace and strike any key when ready.

  3. #3
    Senior Member Greven's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Invercargill
    Posts
    3,740

    Default Re: Customers domain expired - How to recover domain

    Who hosts the website? They will probably have a good idea on how to get the domain back.
    Intel Core i5-3470 CPU
    8GB DDR3 RAM
    1TB HDD
    AMD Radeon HD 6870 graphics card
    Enermax Tomahawk II 500W PSU
    Antec 300 case
    Win7 Pro (Action Pack :D)

    surprisingly quick even without an SSD

  4. #4
    Misc. User of PressF1 somebody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,198

    Default Re: Customers domain expired - How to recover domain

    Does he have the domain's UDAI code?

    In any case, he needs to act quickly before the domain is released back into the pool.
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

  5. #5
    Pedantic Bloke Sweep's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Tokoroa
    Posts
    7,671

    Default Re: Customers domain expired - How to recover domain

    Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Does he have the domain's UDAI code?

    In any case, he needs to act quickly before the domain is released back into the pool.
    That is what is needed!

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    localhost
    Posts
    59

    Smile Re: Customers domain expired - How to recover domain

    Not a big issue, just fixed a scenario like this today actually (luckily it was well before the domain expires).

    My first attempt would be to get the original designer to release the UDAI to you, and you transfer the domain to your registrar of choice.

    If no luck with this, get your client to contact the existing registrar with a letter outlining they are the legal owner, and requesting the domains contact details are set to them. Once this is done, request the UDAI and transfer. Most registrars will have a process outlined on their website to do this.

    If the legal owner of the domain is set as the designer, this is when things get tricky. You'll need to get the designer on side to make the transfer easier.

    The domain won't go back into the general pool to be snatched up by someone else, but your clients emails/website won't work in the meantime.

    Good luck.

  7. #7
    Misc. User of PressF1 somebody's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    5,198

    Default Re: Customers domain expired - How to recover domain

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    The domain won't go back into the general pool to be snatched up by someone else, but your clients emails/website won't work in the meantime.
    I can't remember the exact number, but aren't "abandoned" domains released back into the pool after 60 days or something like that?
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

  8. #8
    Gone Erayd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Wellington, NZ
    Posts
    5,761

    Default Re: Customers domain expired - How to recover domain

    Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    I can't remember the exact number, but aren't "abandoned" domains released back into the pool after 60 days or something like that?
    Yep, although I'm also not sure of the exact time period. Note that many registrars charge a 'recovery' fee if you let them expire, or cancel them, and then decide you want them back.

    If this is a site that isn't in the NZ registry (e.g. .com, .net, .org etc) then it probably won't have a UDAI - non-NZ domains work slightly differently.
    If you are interested in reading fanfiction on a mobile device or ebook reader, please visit flagfic.com.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,461

    Default Re: Customers domain expired - How to recover domain

    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post

    If the legal owner of the domain is set as the designer, this is when things get tricky. You'll need to get the designer on side to make the transfer easier.

    The domain won't go back into the general pool to be snatched up by someone else, but your clients emails/website won't work in the meantime.

    Good luck.
    Yes I have seen this a lot, infact have a client who has this exact problem. Many people hire cowboy web designers, who don't know the domain rules, and in the end it costs a lot in terms of time, and hassle getting the domain back. Far worse if the domain is an international one.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,461

    Default Re: Customers domain expired - How to recover domain

    Quote Originally Posted by Erayd View Post
    Yep, although I'm also not sure of the exact time period. Note that many registrars charge a 'recovery' fee if you let them expire, or cancel them, and then decide you want them back.

    If this is a site that isn't in the NZ registry (e.g. .com, .net, .org etc) then it probably won't have a UDAI - non-NZ domains work slightly differently.
    Its 90 days for NZ domains. International ones do also have codes, but they are referred to as authorization codes.

Similar Threads

  1. Domain Name
    By rumpty in forum PressF1
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 24-07-2009, 10:46 PM
  2. Where to buy domain name.
    By gum digger in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 01-12-2006, 10:10 PM
  3. Domain name
    By Greg in forum PC World Chat
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 05-04-2005, 06:19 PM
  4. Getting a domain name.
    By in forum PressF1
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24-11-2001, 01:14 PM
  5. Domain & NT3.51
    By in forum PressF1
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-08-2001, 03:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •