Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default extended warranties (Dilbert)

Default Re: extended warranties (Dilbert)

I have a five year extended warranty on my laptop. Have used it twice.

The power pack gave up after out of manufacturer's warranty. Replaced no problems.

The CD rom gave up after out of manufacturer's warranty. Replaced no problems.

I have had a very positive experience with my extended warranty. There must be others who have had positive experiences? Surely I'm not the only one?
    It is better to wear out than to rust out.
    - Richard Chamberlain, Tour of the Hebrides

Us husbands are a sorry lot.

How much did you pay for the warranty. Mother in-law in the weekend had a experience with HN. Trying to sell two two year extended warranties on a laptop. Was going too add $800 on to the price of a $1800 laptop.
    Myself have purchased them in the past and never used them. Will not again
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

I got a phone call he other day from a chap at the HN sales counter,he was in the middle of purchasing a $1200 laptop and they had whacked over $1200 worth of other crap on it, Including a fee (and this is what he told me) of $240 for installing the software they were trying to sell him.

The software was already installed ***,all they would have had to do was start the laptop and activate the software.

Plus quite a hundred for the software itself, and another few hundred for the extended warranty.

Criminal if you ask me.

I charged him $80 to uninstall all the crap and install the MS Anti-virus.

A saving of over $1100
    better Dredd then dead

Quote Originally Posted by Metla View Post
    I got a phone call he other day from a chap at the HN sales counter,he was in the middle of purchasing a $1200 laptop and they had whacked over $1200 worth of other crap on it, Including a fee (and this is what he told me) of $240 for installing the software they were trying to sell him.

The software was already installed ***,all they would have had to do was start the laptop and activate the software.

Plus quite a hundred for the software itself, and another few hundred for the extended warranty.

Criminal if you ask me.

I charged him $80 to uninstall all the crap and install the MS Anti-virus.

A saving of over $1100
    Sound similar to the inlaw, there was a list of other stuff their wanted to add on. Mother inlaw has enough sense to take someone with her when shes ready to hand over the cash
    samsung, discovering a new galaxy every month

NZ Consumer Mag(Org??) & Fair Go & others have only negative comments on them.
    You are usually covered by the CGA anyway.

Have heard horror stories of how the Ext Warranty companies(sometimes just minor Insurance companies) can make it very hard to submit a claim: hoping that people just give up I guess.

Good to hear of your success with your claims.

mikebartnz

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post

The power pack gave up after out of manufacturer's warranty. Replaced no problems.

I have had a very positive experience with my extended warranty. There must be others who have had positive experiences? Surely I'm not the only one?
    I would be curious to know some costs.
    A) Extended warranty
    B) Cost of power pack
    C) Cost of cdrom

In most cases the extended warranty would cost more than those two items.
    In my view they aren't worth it.
    Computers are like Air Conditioners, they stop working when you open Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by mikebartnz View Post
    A) Extended warranty
    B) Cost of power pack
    C) Cost of cdrom
    And what model laptop. Some of the Toshibas have a 3 year warranty anyway, not that a toaster shop would tell you that.

I've seen the small print in a desktop warranty. Excludes monitor, excludes, KB, mouse etc. Excludes this problem, excludes that problem. There was hardly anything left.
    wipe your paws.

Quote Originally Posted by Roscoe View Post

Yes, but that would all be covered by the CGA, unless you purchased it for business use. The manufactures warrenty is irrelevent really except for business buyers, as they can't contract out of the CGA

Quote Originally Posted by pctek View Post
    And what model laptop. Some of the Toshibas have a 3 year warranty anyway, not that a toaster shop would tell you that.

I've seen the small print in a desktop warranty. Excludes monitor, excludes, KB, mouse etc. Excludes this problem, excludes that problem. There was hardly anything left.
    They also say it excludes consumables, but they don't specify what the defination of consumables is. I was told that headphones are considered consumables, and they wouldn't cover me, but when have headphones been considered a consumable.