Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

Exclamation PC upgrade, not even getting POST error beeps

Hi all,

So I decided this morning to fix up my PC. I've had another system in a case with a 520watt PSU that's much bigger than my main PC case. I had the side off my main case and a fan aimed at it, so I thought it was time to swap the cases around so I could put the sides back on my PC and some proper cooling.

Long story short:
    I pulled the 2.4Ghz P4 + Motherboard + HDD's out of the "new" case.
    I popped my Dual-core 2Ghz + Motherboard + RAM + PCIe GPU + HDD's into the new case

At first it would power on (With the GPU) but wasn't booting for some reason, it wasn't detecting any of the HDD's.
    So, I thought I'd fiddle around and pull out all the HDD's, then it stopped booting entirely, nothing on the screen, no POST beeps.
    So I pulled out the RAM to try and make it beep, it did, choice.
    Plugged the RAM back in, now no POST beeps, nothing on-screen either. Bugger
    Pull out the GPU, same deal, no POST beeps, nothing on-screen with the onboard VGA
    So I pull out the RAM once more to make sure I'm not imagining it, now *no* POST beeps, and there's just a CPU attached to the motherboard. Now I'm worried.

So I go out and get a shiny Gigabyte G31M-ES2L and a Dual-core 3.06Ghz. I got that coz of the price, and coz it was a nice cheap CPU upgrade, not to mention I can keep my existing 4GB DDR2 RAM.

Get home from PBTech and go to plug them in. Nothing on-screen, same issue as before. Now I'm *really* worried.
    I pull out the RAM, no POST beeps either. I grab my tiny little system speaker (rather than using the built-in case speaker) and no sounds still.

Any ideas what's likely to be causing this? I'm just bummed, I was hoping to get home, throw the motherboard / CPU in and start installing XP

Thanks

Chill.
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Default Re: PC upgrade, not even getting POST error beeps

Somebody else has just suggested to me it could be PSU-related. The old PSU was 400w though and the new one is 520w. I made sure I had all the relevant power leads plugged in too. Worth a shot trying to use the old PSU in the new case, though the old PSU is pretty well attached to the case (It's one of those half-way small-form-factor ones) :-/
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:

Check that none of the connectors have receded in the PSU plugs Chill. Sometimes they don't stay put when you plug in and you could be missing a voltage rail. Alternatively, you could try another PSU if you have one.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through my restraints!

Good point, will do, thanks

Another thing to check. When you popped the new motherboard in were there any risers still in the case that are touching the motherboard and are actually unused?

I normally check on a bench that a new motherboard / cpu / ram combination will post before I put same in a case.

Need more power

Quote Originally Posted by Sweep View Post
    Another thing to check. When you popped the new motherboard in were there any risers still in the case that are touching the motherboard and are actually unused?

I normally check on a bench that a new motherboard / cpu / ram combination will post before I put same in a case.
    +1

yea easy miss if your in a hurry or half asleep,

Maybe check for mistaking HDD LED connected to the reset header etc, or jammed reset switch holding down the rig, so pull all the headers and just turn on with a jumper of screw driver.

Intel I7 920@4.0 GHz (1.25V), Nvidia GTX580 OC 1.5GB, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (1366),Megashadow 2x120mm low speed fans,6 gig Ram (1600), Intel X25-M 80gig G2 SSD & 2x1TB Seagate, Win7

Computer Technician

The fact that it initially started and wouldn't detect Hard Drives etc, suggests that it may be a power supply problem, ie certain parts of the motherboard getting power and others not. This has happened to some of my friends' computers.

PSU.
    wipe your paws.

Was the PSU fine with the other system? Id assume so otherwise you wouldn't of used it. Check for shorts like Sweep said, even removin stuff could of sorted the short so it beeps but when u replace it shorts whatever again. Worth a look

PSU was fine in the initial system which was why I'd mostly ruled it out, but hooking it up to the original confirms it's the PSU that's faulty. Unfortunately the original is truly stuck in the old case, so I just scored me a new CPU / Mobo and now I have to go get a new PSU also That's alright, it's a cheap second PC later on down the track, just some RAM for it really and it'll be a nice barebones machine!

Thanks all for the suggestions