Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Looking for a digital SLR camera - your recommendations.

Hey!

I've got a decent point and shoot camera (Canon 870IS) but I think the time has come to get an SLR. I'm going to Europe in a few months and would like to have one before I go.

Have been looking at reviews and reading different forum posts but no idea where to start. The Canon EOS 1000D seems like a good camera and can get it for just over $1000. How does Canon compare to other brands, Nikon or Sony?

My max budget is about $1000. I do not know much about camears but would like to use it for anything from sports to scenery and possibly at the snow too.

Thanks in advance!

Default Re: Looking for a digital SLR camera - your recommendations.

As in most things they make go for a Canon. I have a Canon Powershot SX 20 IS. Although not a true SLR it dose have through the lens viewing. If you are not wanting to have the functionality of changing lens this camera should suit you as it dose most things an SLR can do. RRP about $850.
    Intel i5-2500K 3.3GHz Quad Core, Asus P8Z 68-V LE MB, GTX 560 TI 1GB DDR5 graphics card, Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3 ram , Viewsonic VX2233WM LCD 1080P HD Monitor. Seagate Barracuda 1 TB 64MB Sata3 HD

When you get things narrowed down go here for reviews.

http://www.dpreview.com/

Yeah canon all the way. The EOS 1000D is very nice. Wouldn't you be able to get it cheaper over in Europe?

http://canon.co.nz/en-NZ/For-You/Dig...-Cameras/1000D
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Wanderer

SLRs, go for Canon or Nikon as they have the most substantial parts and options.

The cheap models have all you want really. The higher level ones tend to have faster speed, both in rapid firing and AF speed and accuracy. You may find that the cheaper models tend to be better in the middle AF sensor, the outer ones are more laid back. But the more $$ models tend to be better in many AF sensors. They may also be more solid build and more moisture resistant.

I heard EU is about the same as NZ, maybe more, depends, the cheaper area might be Germany. UK and FR is expensive.

Sony is an option but not good in the parts. Sony acquired Konina Minolta. Which Konica acquired Minolta Sony has a full frame option think it is the 900 model which is the most aggressive priced vs the Nikon or Canon but that is more expensive model. Sony has image stabiliser built into the body. Whereas Nikon and Canon have them in the lenses, if you get lenses without them, they won't have image staibiliser. They are about the same but IS in the lens tend to be better but you may not notice that practically. Once you get into photog, the better lenses might be more $$ because they use Zeiss.

One of the advantages of Nikon is that the lens mount has not changed, so you could use the 2nd hand manual focus lenses but only on the mid models and up. On the lower models it won't have metering. So you guess the f stop and shutter speed etc. Also manual focus obviously. Canon has the EF mount which is different to their manual FD system.

Changing the lens option would be good, that makes it a lot more versatile.

Yea, that dpreview site is awesome, but not sure if I should just be looking at Canons although so far it seems so.

I was thinking of buying it in Europe or duty free, but I'd still like to know which model I want before I leave NZ. I'll have a look for the 1000D on some European sites to get an idea of the pricing there.

From bestcameras.co.uk

http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/ac...anon_lens.html

Can get the camera, an 18-55 lens, free delivery, 3 year warranty, as well as an upgrade to a Samsonite DFV90 premium outfit case + DSLR accessory kit (table tripod, card case, screen protectors & lens cloth) all for under $950 NZD
    Last edited by wratterus; 26-04-2010 at 12:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by wratterus View Post
    From bestcameras.co.uk

http://www.bestcameras.co.uk/shop/ac...anon_lens.html

Can get the camera, an 18-55 lens, free delivery, 3 year warranty, as well as an upgrade to a Samsonite DFV90 premium outfit case + DSLR accessory kit (table tripod, card case, screen protectors & lens cloth) all for under $950 NZD
    Yea that sounds good but the customs will then charge me another $200 for importing it

Pull it apart and put it in separate boxes

For camera reviews and a good forum try http://www.cameralabs.com/