Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: CPU

Default CPU

Saw Morgenmuffel's thread down the page a bit, but thought it might be simpler to start a new one, mainly because I waffle on so much, I don't want to hijack his.

Anyway, looking to upgrade MB and CPU due to failing USB ports, can't be sodded trying to work out why or if it's recoverable (I doubt it, but hey...). Will go for new RAM too.

Have also usually gone for AMD, cos I'm a fan, but will consider the wickedness that is Intel.

Main use is business apps, photoshop (yes large RAW files at times) and perhaps a bit of recreational use from time to time, but nothing too strenuous.

First question: Looking at i5 and 17, not going top of the line but wish to have a future upgrade path if I so wish so was giving socket 1366 consideration over 1156. Bull or a good move. My son reckons I won't upgrade anyway and i5 650 3.2 S1156 is good enough for the old codger rather than my suggestion of a 930 2.8 on 1366. What do the gurus reckon. Is the additional $2-300 worth it.

The money is no great hardship, but there's no need to biff it away if it's not necessary.

I'll match it with plenty of ram, but probably keep my old 8800 GTS (640MB) card for the moment.

Second question: Depending on which CPU, what chipset is best matched? I like cool running, but...

Third question: What are the AMD CPUs like these days. Are they worth a punt - the pricing certainly look good.

Fourth and final (yay!) question: I've tended to go for Asus boards and graphics on the perception that they're supposed to be reliable and stable. Is that still true and if not, what's the latest and greatest?

BTW, gidday.

Default Re: CPU

I recently upgraded to something good, but modest (in my opinion)

AMD Phenom 2 X2 545 CPU (or try a triple core Phenom for a bit more money)
    Gigabyte MA770T-UD3P MB. Nice modern board, no onboard graphics, so your 8800 card will suit.
    2GB fairly generic RAM.
    Re-used the power supply and case.

I tend to go along with your son. Over all the years of my ownership I have never 'upgraded'. The i5 is a good compromise IMHO. 4GB RAM is standard, now. Win7 x64 and you're good to go!

Quote Originally Posted by Murray P View Post
    Looking at i5 and 17,

Third question: What are the AMD CPUs like these days.

I've tended to go for Asus boards and graphics on the perception that they're supposed to be reliable and stable.
    I'd go i5. Or the AMD if you want, overall Intel tends to be better these days, but you do have to compare similar CPUs and there is nothing wrong with the suggested AMD choice.

Remember there is no such thing as future-proof anyway.

Yes, ASUS is still good. So is Gigabyte.
    wipe your paws.

The current price on that AMD PHENOM CPU is attractive, I built up a 64bit Windows7 machine last week using one and performance matches one I did three weeks ago using an Intel chip of comparable specification but cost twice as much. I used Gigabyte MOBOs for both this time; but also use Asus when competitively available.

I'll have you know I upgraded my trusty socket 7 about 4 times, though only managed 3 upgrades to the old socket A. Mind, they were both a bit like that favourite axe.

I should have mentioned that I already have 4gig of ram and that will be a minimum this time around.

Ok, so given that AMD are lagging a bit at the mo but aren't a complete basket case, especially when teamed up with the right chipset...(?) and that the competition seems to be the i5 3.2ghz giving due consideration to chip output, which one is cooler running? (I'm currently fanless on CPU and chipset and would like to keep that if poss).

I don't know that you could run a current CPU fanless, but the AMD Cool and Quiet system keeps the heat output to a minimum.

My Phenom CPU runs at 800Mhz when the computer is not doing much, such as when web browsing, but steps up to 3Ghz when required. The fan speed is therefore quite low most of the time. A gigantic improvement over a Celeron CPU and its cooler used two upgrades back!

I must admit to having a preference for AMD. In fact I can't remember when I last put an Intel system together. Not that I have anything against Intel apart from the price before I start a war.

Current CPU is a 6000+. Though it is available, I don't use the Cool n Quiet.

I have two 120mm Yate Loon Case fans (Nexus is a re-branded Yate Loon that you pay heaps more for) and an efficient Silverstone PSU with a silentish 120mm fan of it's own in a good Silverstone case. I have a Scythe Ninja on the CPU sans the fan it came with. I've never had a issue with excessive heat... although I am wondering what's cooking my USB ports

My external drive enclosure is the noisiest thing on my desk, and probably the hottest.

Need more power

Quote Originally Posted by Murray P View Post

First question: Looking at i5 and 17, not going top of the line but wish to have a future upgrade path if I so wish so was giving socket 1366 consideration over 1156. Bull or a good move. My son reckons I won't upgrade anyway and i5 650 3.2 S1156 is good enough for the old codger rather than my suggestion of a 930 2.8 on 1366. What do the gurus reckon. Is the additional $2-300 worth it.

I wouldn't go I7 and 1366 "purely" for future upgradeability, thats a false economy considering what you'll shell out now vs a new motherboard and faster processor in maybe 3 years time. If you did a lot of VM's or encoding etc, with large amounts of multitasking then sure I7 is the way to go.

I would definitely go Quad I5 750 1156 (being the better I5) over PhenomII x,4 for most apps, but price wise you can get a AMD X4 965 for a similar price/performance.

Keep in mind you'll want a fast HDD makes ALL the difference in many Apps and at least 4gig of ram, these are bigger issues than similar performing Intel vs AMD CPU's.

I wouldn't look at dual cores any more unless $$ is very tight.

Intel I7 920@4.0 GHz (1.25V), Nvidia GTX580 OC 1.5GB, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (1366),Megashadow 2x120mm low speed fans,6 gig Ram (1600), Intel X25-M 80gig G2 SSD & 2x1TB Seagate, Win7