Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default $1k budget for WHS box, hardware and software

Looks for a small box with room for at least 2-3 drives, doesnt have to be powerful. Want to install WHS on it...
    Suggestions
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Default Re: $1k budget for WHS box, hardware and software

How about the HP Mediasmart server?
    Quote Originally Posted by nedkelly View Post
    I did not think of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Error Guy View Post
    Loving the quote! "I... Did not think of that"

One suggestion Already made up ready to go-- and change from 1K add in another Hdd if you want.

Other wise specs -- any lower end CPU - 5300 would be more than enough - 1GB RAM - Basic Motherboard Onboard graphics (not needed anyway) - Case Something like this or This
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-04-2010 at 12:15 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

Quote Originally Posted by wainuitech View Post
    One suggestion Already made up ready to go-- and change from 1K add in another Hdd if you want.

Other wise specs -- any lower end CPU - 5300 would be more than enough - 1GB RAM - Basic Motherboard Onboard graphics (not needed anyway) - Case Something like this or This
    I'd seen that H340 before but for some reason thought the O/S was a Linux WHS....however, it looks great....might get a 2nd disk...cheers
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Where is Metla these days Chilling_Silence's Avatar

I'm a fan of the Dual-Core Atom systems such as the D510MO and D945GCLF2. Perhaps custom-building one of those with a nice case might be an idea? You'd be surprised just how cheap you can build 'em
    I mostly do Bitcoin & DigiByte things these days, feel free to say hi on Twitter: https://twitter.com/dgb_chilling

Before you ask a question here, or before you get upset by a response, see here:
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-...ons.html#intro

Not sure if a dual core is required really!...simply file sharing, print services, backup solution and maybe some streaming!

Hey, any WHS users?, does WHS backup user data when backing up pc's, or just the O/S and Apps?

I'm watching this thread closely, looking at an Acer Easystore myself. Have no experience with WHS yet.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by SolMiester View Post
    Hey, any WHS users?, does WHS backup user data when backing up pc's, or just the O/S and Apps?
    You have the Connector software installed on the PC's. When you start up the PC you have to log in as per a normal server.

When WHS does a backup, it backs up the COMPLETE HDD, everything, programs, apps, documents, ( bugs if you have any) That way if you need to do a complete restore, Eg: HDD failure - you drop in the remote recovery CD, and it puts everything back as it was at the time of the backup you select. ( OS/ programs/ Data) See Pictures Below.

Basically the most you would lose is any data from between the last backup time to when it failed.

You can if you want go into the backups on WHS and extract out any single documents etc if required (say you deleted one by mistake) .

The first backup always takes the longest, then daily it backups any changes that have been made, so if you have only changed / created a few documents it adds / removes that to the original image. So this only takes a few minutes - it checks what was there, and now whats changed and does its thing automatically.

Taking a look at one of the WHS's I have - Mine - the backup takes 95GB - Thats backing up 7 PC's - Time to dump some of the backups Then add in another HDD me thinks
    Last edited by wainuitech; 19-04-2010 at 04:31 PM.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.

After working in a business and dealing with HP DC7100s,7600s and 7700s im quite pleased with them.

They are cheap second hand too ex lease , some on TM $225 - Pentium 4 3.0ghz etc. The form factor is pretty much as tiny as you can get for matx.

Easy to work on,power supplies good. Fit 2 sata drives(just) or 3 if you remove the DVD drive.

An atom based system ive always thought about too, but the value for money isnt quite as good as these types of multi use systems.
    n610 2.0 P4 | 256mb | 2 x USB | 1.5tb