Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    morgenmuffel

Default Cordless phones and wireless routers - Do i really have to ditch my 2.4ghz phones?

Hi all

I have just brought a wireless router a (WAG160N - yeah I know, I didn't check reviews before i brought it), any way when i asked the assistant at Harvey Normans (yes i know, don't shoot me) she said that it would work fine, however on my way out the door i asked another assistant who said they won't work long story short i am at home, with the router going and everything seems OK

The "Standard channel" is set to 2.42Ghz on the router, should this prevent issues

When i pick up the phone and press the talk button to begin dialing a number nothing happens to the internet, So what is supposed to go happen, i haven't received any phone calls today, and everyone i know happens to be away till monday, so i am waiting with baited breath for a telemarketer to test this out on.

Does the internet crap out or does the phone crap out

Laptop is at the opposite end of the house to the wireless router modem thingie and the speed seems to be as quick as directly wired, I am pretty damned astounded, last time i used wireless, it was about the speed of water coming through a string.

I do have a question though, what level of encryption wireless thingie should i use, I am currently using "wpa2 personal" which has a pre-shared key which is set to expire in 3600seconds (i hour) what exactly does that mean as I am sure we used the laptop for longer that an hour without being kicked off I could be wrong though

I also have the mac address filtering on, so that it only allows our laptops mac address access, with that in mind, would it be fairly safe for me to increase the shared key timeout whojib

Any off to a trip to the most dangerous part of the UK, somewhere beginning with Midsomer

Toodle pip and see you tomorrow when i may have more success at stringing a coherent question together
    Morgenmuffel - This word needs to be a part of the english language, in fact you should use it in everyday conversation

Default Re: Cordless phones and wireless routers - Do i really have to ditch my 2.4ghz phones

Worst case scenario is interference which would present itself as low quality phone calls and/or slow/unreliable wifi connection. If you're experiencing no problems then all good, else change the wireless channel. WPA2 is good, don't worry about key expiry times, you will not lose connection.

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Default Re: Cordless phones and wireless routers - Do i really have to ditch my 2.4ghz phones

I have a cordless and wifi on 2.4 GHz with WPA2 personal, no issues in two years.

Both my sisters have 2.4GHz cordless phones, which cuts the internet to the PC if they make or receive a call. Finish the call and the connection restarts within a minute.
    Fixed the problem for one by buying an extension cord for her corded phone, so she can be on the phone and internet at the same time.

I never have had any problems. I think it matter how close the frequencies are try changing the wireless channel grimy might help a bit.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedkelly View Post
    I did not think of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Error Guy View Post
    Loving the quote! "I... Did not think of that"

My 2.4Ghz phone sits on top out of my wireless router and I've never had any issues with reliability or speed~
    All the technology and software in the universe is useless when the end user has the IQ of a sack of hammers.

Our 2.4 phone is plugged into the router as the router is a VoIP one no issues so far, mind you only had the router since Thursday

+1 for beeswax34. My 2.4GHz phone works fine and I'm using wireless at home without any issues!

wifi spy will show you how congested that area of the RF spectrum is.
    n610 2.0 P4 | 256mb | 2 x USB | 1.5tb

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Hi all

snip
    Any off to a trip to the most dangerous part of the UK, somewhere beginning with Midsomer

Toodle pip and see you tomorrow when i may have more success at stringing a coherent question together
    LOL, great program that!
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8