Let it be

Default Re: purchase desktop pc help?

would this be a suitable one..

im thinking gaming has similar requirements to graphics etc

http://www.qmb.co.nz/dealer/pk.aspx?389&c=Package
    Let it be

Need more power

sorry your link doesnt work, looks like you need to be logged in.

Suggest copy and pasting the stats.

Intel I7 920@4.0 GHz (1.25V), Nvidia GTX580 OC 1.5GB, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (1366),Megashadow 2x120mm low speed fans,6 gig Ram (1600), Intel X25-M 80gig G2 SSD & 2x1TB Seagate, Win7

just remove /dealer from address and it does
    Quote Originally Posted by nedkelly View Post
    I did not think of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Error Guy View Post
    Loving the quote! "I... Did not think of that"

I'd probably go for 4GB of RAM & Win7 64bit - photo editing can gobble RAM & i'd imagine GD would be the same.

Depending on how into their photography they are, the AOC monitor is pretty low end. If they're really concerned about viewing & editing with accurate colours, then get one with a PVA or IPS panel in it rather than a TN. The only problem is they're more expensive.

Highly recommend one of ComputerLounge's systems.

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/syst...22&systypeid=4
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Quote Originally Posted by hammer View Post
    would this be a suitable one..

im thinking gaming has similar requirements to graphics etc

http://www.qmb.co.nz/dealer/pk.aspx?389&c=Package
    Its actually the complete opposite... Graphics and video editing programs, as they are not DirectX or OpenGL dependent, have little benefit from discrete video cards. Integrated graphics + $400 CPU is faster than $200 graphics card + $200 CPU when it comes to video editing/graphic design

Lose the graphics card and speakers, and use the money saved on a better monitor, 64bit windows and more memory (your configuration only has 2gb so far i think)

I second the suggestion about a monitor; if they are serious about graphic design, I'd recommend an IPS screen, eg HP LP2475W, Dell U2410.

Copied from a previous post:
    You can check which panel a certain screen has here:
    http://www.tftcentral.co.uk/panelsearch.htm
    The main LCD panel types are:
    TN: Lowest cost, worst viewing angles and colour reproduction, low image processing lag. Apparently best for fast paced gaming, worst for image editing and professsional work where colour accuracy is important. TN panels can only display 262k colours natively and use dithering to display 16.7m.

*VA (MVA, PVA, S-PVA): Middle of the road, better viewing angles and colour reproduction, typically high image processing lag (as high as 64ms!). Typically best black levels and contrast. Can display 16.7m colours but unfortunately (or fortunately if you're a design professional) most newer panels of this type are wide gamut, meaning sRGB images are oversaturated in non colour managed applications. Can suffer from slight horizontal contrast shift (like TN's vertical contrast shift, but not as obvious)

IPS (S-IPS, H-IPS): Most expensive technology, viewing angles and colour reproduction almost as good as (or even better than) that of a CRT, medium image processing (between 20-40ms). Almost all are wide gamut (which is a disadvantage, or an advantage depending on how you look at it). No contrast shift.

All panel types have similar response times so ghosting is not really a problem anymore. Although some panels use overdrive, so you get a 'negative' ghosting effect, depending on the background eg on the TN (viewsonic 22") I'm using now, there is a slight ghosting trail, which isn't noticable on my IPS screen. So in this instance, TN has worse ghosting than IPS, even though the TN has a "quicker" documented (5ms for TN, 6ms for IPS) response time.
    Last edited by utopian201; 04-03-2010 at 09:01 AM.

An SSD drive will certain help with temp file creation and manipulation for photos.....and RAM, RAM RAM
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

Last edited by whellington; 04-03-2010 at 09:49 AM.
    :(

Need more power

Quote Originally Posted by utopian201 View Post
    Its actually the complete opposite... Graphics and video editing programs, as they are not DirectX or OpenGL dependent,
    You may want to rethink that a little times are changing.

http://www.opengl.org/news/comments/...after_effects/

Intel I7 920@4.0 GHz (1.25V), Nvidia GTX580 OC 1.5GB, Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD3R (1366),Megashadow 2x120mm low speed fans,6 gig Ram (1600), Intel X25-M 80gig G2 SSD & 2x1TB Seagate, Win7