Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wanderer

Default English grammar in computer courses.

Hiya

I am taking a few months off work and doing a IT course. Got a bit sick of writing reports and letters every day and doing relationship management just to get the information overdue to do my own job and then working last minute and 12hr hour sessions ....

I have my university degree.

I've had a few weeks of this IT course, they don't seem to have any focus on English grammar. It seems to be very practical. Every question is a multiple choice or a single word, or pick multiple choices from list. At times, practical questions that gets marked at your desk ie., to perform a computer task on the computer's HD. But no questions like a short statement or a paragraph let alone a written project or essay.

After working in some of the larger orgs and have liaised with IT staff I would of assumed skills for writing IT reports to update management would of been very important. To translate IT lingo into every day language that management understands.

Cheers.

Default Re: English grammar in computer courses.

Even posts can benefit from a dash of grammar occasionally.
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

In a 1920s time warp Terry Porritt's Avatar

Unfortunately, there are not many of us left nowadays who went to Grammar School.

My Grammar didn't either, left school at twelve
    Entropy is not what
    it used to be.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomad View Post
    ... would of been very important...
    Hmm...

In all seriousness though, universities are probably trying to make courses "easier" for international students whose English skills aren't necessarily the best, as they make a lot of money off them in fees etc.
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

Quote Originally Posted by somebody View Post
    Hmm...

In all seriousness though, universities are probably trying to make courses "easier" for international students whose English skills aren't necessarily the best, as they make a lot of money off them in fees etc.
    Indeed - and I think oral/written fluency is absolutely vital in IT, especially in a corporate environment, as everything revolves around processes, and being able to take user requirements and relate these to technical specs/vendors etc.

Having said that, I work with several fantastic coders who write like 9-year olds

But if English isn't a strong point, then you need to work as hard on it as your skills in whatever field of IT you choose; there's no point being brilliant at something if you can't communicate it to anyone!

Got a natural pearl in my calloused hand
    ...Saved for the girl who could really understand
    ......What it takes to see
    .........The gold from the alchemy

Wanderer

Hmm...

I wouldn't exactly say that. International students come into the country with higher grades as a entry requirement than NZ students, or they need to do a bridging course in NZ before they proceed.

Many international students won't be fluent in everyday life and because of that many of my friends have struggle to get jobs despite having First Class Honours Degrees and Masters, many of them fly back home as a result, but they do work hard in their written essays. A NZ student may do their 8hr of study, campus time and home study, many international students would really study 16hr a day 7 days a week or more. Some of them also pay for reviewer to check their work too.

I wouldn't exactly say that. International students come into the country with higher grades as a entry requirement than NZ students, or they need to do a bridging course in NZ before they proceed.

Many international students won't be fluent in everyday life and because of that many of my friends have struggle to get jobs despite having First Class Honours Degrees and Masters, many of them fly back home as a result, but they do work hard in their written essays. A NZ student may do their 8hr of study, campus time and home study, many international students would really study 16hr a day 7 days a week or more. Some of them also pay for reviewer to check their work too.
    I'm certainly not saying that international students don't work hard - all I'm saying is that the universities are trying to remove the "English" component of assessments so that they aren't disadvantaged because it is not their native language. There certainly is merit in doing this, however my view is that being able to communicate in a professional manner is important in the workplace. To me, the decision is on par with the NZQA accepting txt speak in NCEA exams.

From my time teaching at a university, I can say that there were several cases I came across where the written assessments belonging to local students were significantly worse than the average standard of international students from Asia, from whom English was a second language.
    Any views expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of my employer or any affiliated 3rd party.

I am taking a few months off work and doing a IT course. Got a bit sick of writing reports and letters every day and doing relationship management just to get the information overdue to do my own job and then working last minute and 12hr hour sessions ....

they don't seem to have any focus on English grammar.

At times, practical questions that gets marked at your desk ie., to perform a computer task on the computer's HD.

I would of assumed skills for writing IT reports to update management would of been very important.

To translate IT lingo into every day language
    Well you asked for that.
    Would of? Would HAVE.

A IT course - AN IT course.

Just to get the information overdue? No idea what you're trying to say there.

Practical questions that gets marked? Get Marked.

IT lingo into every day language - everyday language

Yep I think you should go and tell them you need one included in the course for sure.

wipe your paws.

From my time teaching at a university, I can say that there were several cases I came across where the written assessments belonging to local students were significantly worse than the average standard of international students from Asia, from whom English was a second language.
    Doesn't say much for the teaching faculty
    I have very high hopes that seriousness is a reversible condition.

Dr Lester Levy

I've studied deeply in the philosophies and religions, but cheerfulness kept breaking through.

Leonard Cohen