Default Going from Win7 RC edit to Win7 Home Premium

I have been running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 RC edition (build 7100 ) 0n a new computer which I built Oct 09. Everything has gone well, even my old Canon 550I printer works great. Unfortunately my Canon 1250U2 scanner wont as Canon tells me they do not have software compatible with Win 7. Tough !
    I am now thinking about going to a Win 7 64 bit Home Premium edition since my RC edition is due to die according to Microsoft. I have taken copies of files that I would like to keep and I understand that I should clean/reformat my hard drive prior to putting in a new O/S.
    That being the case, can I install an Upgrade Home Premium edition, or do I have to buy a Home Premium Full Edition. Which edition should I go for bearing in mind it will be a clean Hard Drive, I find details on line fairly vague about this.
    I welcome all advice. Thanks

Default Re: Going from Win7 RC edit to Win7 Home Premium

If you got a Windows XP or Windows Vista licence with the new computer you can upgrade. An upgrade requires a qualifying licence (that's why it's cheaper).

If you don't have an XP or Vista licence for the computer, you should get the full version.

cheers
    W

I have been running Windows 7 Ultimate 64 RC edition
    From memory as well, its a lot of pissing about to upgrade to the full version of Home Premium.

Reasons: RC was free, and its a higher version, you can't usually downgrade (opposite to upgrade) to Home Premium. I think It can be done, but with the amount of mucking about you would be better off saving all your data and reinstalling from fresh.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 13-02-2010 at 10:43 AM.

Hi.
    Thanks guys for your comments. My current thoughts after reading some of the links was to ,
    1. Wipe out the RC edition and do a hard drive reformat.
    2. Do a fresh install of Win 7 Home Premium 64bit edition.
    3. Do fresh installs of all other software( Ones that I know will work with 64bit)

However, according to the links re What to Buy on Win7, It appears that having a previous Win XP valid licence I am able to buy/use an upgrade Win7 version and of course do a fresh install.
    Also there seems to be an option either buy a full retail edition which has Microsoft support plus reusable licence, or to buy a OEM edition whichis strictly for one only computer but wont let you do a future Motherboard or hardware upgrade.( I doubt that will happen for a few years)
    Having said all that,and hoping that I have read the facts? correctly, Does this action seem to you guys OK? or am I totally on the wrong track. I appreciate all your comments and any advice.

If you go to someone like Ascent - look at their pricing for W7 -( scroll down to Operating systems) the OEM is cheaper than an upgrade of the same version. They appear to sell you an OEM copy of W7 without a New PC or hardware.

"legally" the OEM is tied to the original hardware, BUT sometimes it also depends on whats changed in a PC, I have had it, where changing a customers graphic card will trigger the reactivation - other times replaced faulty motherboards and all's well. Any other tech can tell you the same thing.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 14-02-2010 at 01:02 PM.