Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dell Inspiron 580 - Should I buy?

http://configure.ap.dell.com/dellsto...l=en&cs=nzdhs1

So looking at buying a new desktop comp and this one is looking pretty appealing. Was aiming to spend a couple hundred less but would be willing to pay for this if it was good enough. Would be using it for general uni work, internet, music (alot), videos and some gaming. How would it handle games like oblivion and other newish games? Anyway, any comments would be awesome. Oh and one other very, very important thing - would I be able to replace and upgrade the components in the future?? Because that's the main reason I'm switching from laptop to desktop. Things like memory, graphics card etc.

Thanks heaps

Default Re: Dell Inspiron 580 - Should I buy?

Buying a Dell is a sin. NEVER EVERY buy a Dell desktop.

Ever.

Period.

Are you in NZ?
    Meh....

Buy one from a real PC shop.
    Computer Lounge for instance.
    wipe your paws.

Um, why? My present and previous computers were Dells and they've been great. Plus, any comp with the same specs at stores have lower specs or don't quite have something I'm looking for. But anyway, perhaps somebody would like to recommend a particular store or model? Looking for at least 320gb hard drive (preferably 500gb), 4gb ram, an average graphics card, a good sound card and a good processor. Oh and I'm down south in Dunedin

Oh and no computer lounge in Dunedin, although I'll check out their online store now...

Why? Because Dell uses cheap, shitty brand motherboards, generic RAM and power supplies of often unknown quality. After all that, they overprice their machines, and give substandard after-sales service.

Computer Lounge is a store up in Auckland, they are considered one of the best computer shop in NZ. Their prices are very reasonable, nearly on par with the cheap Chinese/Indian unreliable stores, but their after sales services are second to none. I've dealt with them a couple of times now and they've been nothing but friendly, helpful and not least, actually know what they're on about.

They also do free shipping nation wide. I can guarantee they can build a similar system to any of Dell's offering at a much better price, and with the confidence that if anything is wrong with the new PC, that they'll rectify the problem.
    Meh....

Quote Originally Posted by natos17 View Post
    Um, why? My present and previous computers were Dells and they've been great.
    Sheer luck.

Had a friend who owned 2 Ladas once. They went well until they died.
    Let's all vote for Lada as the best car then shall we?

Same thing, you can't base it on your personal experience, quality is measured in failure rate of 1000's not one or two.
    wipe your paws.

There must be a local shop building computers in Dunedin building computers to spec and who will give full customer service

Quote Originally Posted by gary67 View Post
    There must be a local shop building computers in Dunedin building computers to spec and who will give full customer service
    A fly by night retail computer shop in no good either as they can very well drop out of business....

I have no problems recommending Dell for consumer goods, business class is another matter....
    HOME-LianLi PC-9F,ASRock P67Pro3, i5 2500k @4Ghz, 8Gb HyperX, ASUS GTX660 OC, Corsair Force 120 SSD, HP zIPS22", HOME SERVER HP ML110G6 HOST-Plex\Ubuntu\8

My current computer was built by PCs unlimited (Christchurch) (in mid 2007). They have an on line system here you can order what you want. I selected it then went in and modified it a bit. Works well, although I did have to replace the DVD writer. I recently added a 2nd Gb of ram.