Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Slow Boot Times and Security Essentials

I installed MS Security Essentials last week, and now my boot time has gone from 45s to nearly 3 mins. It shows the Win7 splash screen, and then the HDD stops for a couple of minutes, then it goes to the welcome screen and then into windows. I ran MSconfig and chose the diagnostic option, which disabled all the startup programs, and it booted in 45s again. I then re-ticked MSSE (nothing else), and back to 3 mins. It's pretty clear that MSSE is the culprit - does anyone know why it's doing this, and more importantly, how to fix it? MSSE is running at the default options.
    The New Rig

Intel Core i7 860, Asus P7P55D Pro, Prolimatech Megahalems, Scythe Kama 120mm, Corsair 2x2GB DDR3-1600, WD Caviar 1TB Black, Radeon HD5850 1GB, Corsair HD620W, Silverstone Raven RV01, Win7 64

Default Re: Slow Boot Times and Security Essentials

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard View Post
    I installed MS Security Essentials last week, and now my boot time has gone from 45s to nearly 3 mins. It shows the Win7 splash screen, and then the HDD stops for a couple of minutes, then it goes to the welcome screen and then into windows. I ran MSconfig and chose the diagnostic option, which disabled all the startup programs, and it booted in 45s again. I then re-ticked MSSE (nothing else), and back to 3 mins. It's pretty clear that MSSE is the culprit - does anyone know why it's doing this, and more importantly, how to fix it? MSSE is running at the default options.
    Have a look in MSSE settings/options. It may be doing a startup file check or other things on startup. Happened to me with ESET.

It does slow things down, you'll see entries in event viewer. You'll probably have to wait till MS bring an update out. It can also take the CPU usage to 100%, with some programs

Turn off scanning at startup and I have turned off the scheduled scan and just run it when I am going out solved both issues

I looked for a scan at startup option, but couldn't find it. Directions, please?
    The New Rig

Intel Core i7 860, Asus P7P55D Pro, Prolimatech Megahalems, Scythe Kama 120mm, Corsair 2x2GB DDR3-1600, WD Caviar 1TB Black, Radeon HD5850 1GB, Corsair HD620W, Silverstone Raven RV01, Win7 64

Probably have to remove its entry in startup. Altho this wont help, since the culprit still runs (mspmpeng.exe). You'll have to kill realtime scanning

I found that boot time is quicker with MSSE than it was with Avast!

LL
    _____Nothing is hidden that cannot be revealed______

I have seen no problems on the 8 or so machines I have installed it on. Funny that it seems to behave badly at times.

There is no scan on startup provision so it can't be stopped!!

A lot has to do with the power of the machine as well. Several Xp's I have put it on, no problems, BUT if the CPU is on the smaller side Example, a underpowered HP / XP only had a celeron 1GHz CPU MSSE took around 4 minutes just to start after booting into the desktop.

Even with a dual core 2.8, it takes longer to load. When MSSE is installed. Only diff I've noticed is, there isnt a lot of high cpu usage in Win7. Like there is with XP.