Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Question trouble checking disk errors. HELP!!!

When I bought my ASUS laptop a few months ago I was able to update From Vista Home premium to Windows 7 whe nit became available. I have received the install disc. I wanted to back up my files but I get a disk error message . I schedule a check and restart but nothing happens. I have manually entered a disk check on the task scheduler and it starts running on restart but after 2 days its still running and I have no results. Is there some way I can see progress??
    Also I have message from chrome.exe that my Java program is corrupted so I have tried to uninstall it to reinstall...as I can't check the disc error as recommended.I get a pop up asking if I trust Java, I tick yes but nothing happens.
    Help!!!!!!!!!! I want to clean up the disk errors so I can back up files and then install windows7

Default Re: trouble checking disk errors. HELP!!!

Welcome to the PF1 Forums.

Click on the start orb, type in "event" ( without the " ) when event viewer displays click it, have a look through windows logs, esp the system and application - look for any errors, if there is a bunch of the same errors what are they, esp if its a disk error.

Also click on start, type in "performance" click on Reliability and performance - when it opens , under monitoring tools, click Reliability Monitor, if there are any errors the bar will be expanded, there will be a red circle with a X, where is the errors Eg: software / Hardware, by clicking on the X it will display the problem-- what does it tell you the problem is ?

Thanks for these suggestions
    The first idea gives me an event 55 error .. no there are thousands of these. This apparently means my file system structure is corrupt and unusable and I should run a chkdsk but I cant!!!
    The second suggestion gives me nothing of consequence.. some application errors which are not continuing.
    What do you think?

Have you tried running chkdsk Via the following method -- Click start Orb, type in cmd then right click it, run as administrator, in the cmd box type in chkdsk /r - you should get a message saying it cant run --- la de da ---- do you want to run on next restart - hit Y then reboot normally -- Does it run ??

If not you may have to do it from a bootable CD - do you have a vista DVD - if not then you can download the bootable/ fix section from here make the bootable CD, then boot from it, select repair my computer - and run chkdsk from the command prompt.

(never tried this as I have the correct CD's) You can try running the CMD from the W7 upgrade DVD, boot from the DVD, work through until you get to the point of installing, bottom left fix my computer -- BUT, you may get a message saying incorrect OS.

BUT if the OS is damaged you would be better off wiping the whole drive and loading in W7 from fresh - installing W7 over a dodgy ( broken) Vista will result in a shaky broken W7.

Bit like building a nice house on shaky foundations - house may be nice but wont last long, and the W7 upgrade can be a bit flaky on a good Vista install.

One of two things has happened -- Corrupted OS or drive has developed faults. (hard ware fault)

Thanks again. Cant run chkdsk that way.. nothing happens. It seems crazy cos everything works fine.There is no indication that there is any problem with the computer.
    Vista came already installed so dont have any bootable CD.
    I think it may be beyond me to sort. Have no idea how to wipe the drive and would need assistance for most stuff. How safe/hard is it to try fixing it from the downloadable bootable CD??

Short / Non technical version of running chkdsk -- If its run from a CD, its another way of doing chkdsk instead of doing it Via the OS.

IF there are hundreds of the same error in the event log, then there is something wrong someplace. Its common to have a small number of errors but not good if there is a lot, esp all of the same error.

try this -- See what happens -- open the command prompt again from search,(right click /run as administrator) type in sfc /scannow press enter (note single gap between c /s). it should do a file check on the PC (may take 1/2 - 1 hour)

How safe ?? safe as any type of fix, sometimes it doesn't do anything, other times it fixes problems or can make it worse.
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-01-2010 at 08:47 PM.

sfc/ scannow tells me that some corrupt files were found but it couldnt fix all of them. Details in C: Windows\Logs\CBS\CBS.log but access is denied when I try to open this.

You may need full admin rights to read them, even if you are the administrator in your account it doesn't allow full access like the "real " Admin account.

To bring up the real admin account, follow The instructions here - you can ignore step 4 completely, just follow the rest - once rebooted you will see the real admin account, log into that, and you should be able to open/read that report. Post back what it says.

To rehide the admin account if you want, open the cmd in the normal account and type in net user administrator activate:no
    Last edited by wainuitech; 11-01-2010 at 10:42 PM.

followed directions and cmd said it was successful. When restarted only my icon came up...no sign of a 'real admin account' !!!
    Am feeling hopeless.

Try it again, Had this happen once , second time it worked.