Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Wanderer

Default Increase in spam and slow PressF1

Hey, after the news year I think, getting lots more spam. I have mailwasher. I used to get a few per day, the ISP's spam filter blocks most but it is the account that I use for internet stuff, the personal email account don't get any.

Like, 25 a day, not checked email for a few days and I get 100 into my system not incl the ones in my spam filter. The spam filter has been emptied just a day or two ago.

Also, I found PressF1 really slow, after NYR, maybe least half the pages just don't load. The indicator get to 90% then it stops. Anyone is similar boat?

And something weird with my router, I know my ADSL modem works but the wifi func does not, it quits and resume couple times a day. I couldn't get the net going yesterday only to find (XP - under network and you see the gateway icon above your wireless and wired connections) it says disabled. I didn't disabled I think .... and this morning again no net, and it was again disabled.

Cheers.

Default Re: Increase in spam and slow PressF1

PressF1 has been slow inc today. It does load, but takes its sweet time about it! Sounds like your ethernet or maybe the driver is playing up

Wanderer

Ah .. nah not drivers. Its the ADSL router and I am connecting via RJ45.
    Had enough of wireless.

Never happened before.

While it was disabled. It has no problems going into the router setup by typing the IP address......

Have you updated the firmware for the router? Whats the brand/model of the router?

Over the Xmas and New Year my spam rate tripled, from a several per hour to several every few minutes, all promoting the same usal crap,fake watches and a flood of the usual money scams and FBI warnings that I am being monitored for dealings with the bank of nigeria being the main.

Though Mailwasher screens it all so I don't care how much spam they send, none of it gets through.

Last couple of days though it has gone the other way, almost no spam at all though last night and again this morning there has been a mini flood of german language spam.

Also today a flood of virus link emails claiming to be from my ISP urging me to follow a link to upgrade my email client because of upgrades to there mail server.

As for Press F1, has been loading ok here, no problems.

Wanderer

Router is up to date I think. Well I think it is updated. Done it before. I tried to get new one recently and install via the setup (typing in the IP#), it won't install.

It's a crap Linksys WAG54G Version 2.0.

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by PinoyKiw View Post
    Over the Xmas and New Year my spam rate tripled, from a several per hour to several every few minutes, all promoting the same usal crap,fake watches and a flood of the usual money scams and FBI warnings that I am being monitored for dealings with the bank of nigeria being the main.

Though Mailwasher screens it all so I don't care how much spam they send, none of it gets through.

Last couple of days though it has gone the other way, almost no spam at all though last night and again this morning there has been a mini flood of german language spam.

Also today a flood of virus link emails claiming to be from my ISP urging me to follow a link to upgrade my email client because of upgrades to there mail server.

As for Press F1, has been loading ok here, no problems.
    You have the business matters, I have the naughty ones
    Thing is trying to blacklist with mailwasher but appears they are all from unique addresses .....

What? So you logged into the router and then went to firmware upgrade, and then tried to load it, it didnt work?

Wanderer

Quote Originally Posted by Speedy Gonzales View Post
    What? So you logged into the router and then went to firmware upgrade, and then tried to load it, it didnt work?
    Yep. Didn't work. A red sign came up.
    I think I did update the firmware a yr or more ago if not mistaken, maybe that is why ...

PF1 slowed down badly, sometimes its Ok others its slow as a wet week, or wont load at all, doesn't matter what browser, really intermittent. Other sites load fine or as expected.

Where you mention the wireless disabled in XP , thats on the PC, nothing to do with the router - I have seen that a few times on customers PC's - the fix was to remove the wireless drivers completely as well as delete from device manager, reboot and let it reinstall again.
    Update / Upgrades = Replace old bugs with new ones.