Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Senior Cit

Default Reclaiming space

[I've got an Acer Aspire 3000 running Windows with a 60 Gb hard drive of which the C drive takes up 26.3 Gb of which I am told 26.2 Gb is used and I have only 107 Mb left! (The D drive takes up 26.5 Gb of which only 4.24 Gb is used.) I am amazed how little space I have on the C drive considering that a week or so ago I had about 1.7 Gb free. Where has it all gone? After I was told I had "low disc space I did a Disk Clean and got rid of about 233 Mb, and now I seem to have next to nothing left. I have gone to "Add and Remove programs" and note that I have
    i) 4 Security updates for Microsoft Office as well as "Compatability Service packSP2 for Office 2007" (I have Office 2003 installed)
    ii) Microsoft .Net framework 1.1 and a security update, .Net framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 with what appear to be 11 updates
    iii) .Net framework 3.0 SP2 with again, 11 update
    iv) .Net framework 3.5 SP1 with 3 updates
    v) Office 2003 with 5 updates
    vi) Publisher 2002 with underneath the major heading 13 updates a number of which are for "Office XP
    What on earth have I done??? Everything's gone to being "right justified" and I can't fix it!
    Anyhow, the long and short of it is that I have lots and lots more updates in my installed programs.

Can I remove them all to gain space?
    "

Default Re: Reclaiming space

Use ccleaner. You shouldnt uninstall patches, / updates theyre there for a reason. If you dont want the updates, you may as well uninstall the program as well. You could uninstall the Compatability Service packSP2 for Office 2007. But then, you wont be able to open Office 2007 based documents. I think thats what its for. What other programs have been installed / are in add/remove programs?
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 27-10-2009 at 02:45 PM.

Senior Cit

Further to the above posting I note
    i) The "XP" has been missed out after "Windows" in the first line
    ii) miraculously (!) the version showing up is all left-justified. Great!

Senior Cit

I've got cleaner and have just used it - with the result that I now have 424 Mb of free space . . nothing like the just-under 2 Gb I would much rather have as I did a week or so ago.
    I note that there is a huge number of updates, over 70, listed under "Windows XP"; once they've been installed, does one have to keep the program?

Err windows XP is the OS. The updates under it, are its updates. So, you cant remove it. Unless you reformat and install something else. You could uninstall Office, then the updates will go with it. Or buy a bigger hdd

Apple free in Appleby KarameaDave's Avatar

Could you move 'My Documents' to the D drive?
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/310147

Senior Cit

Thank you very much folk. I have moved My Documents to the D drive (after copying it first on to a DVD for safety) and find that I now have 1.24 Gb of space on my C drive. However, I will almost certainly be suggesting to my wife that a suitable Christmas present could well be a new HDD! I priced one for the laptop the other day . . a 160 Gb drive would cost under $200 which I thought was very reasonable. Better than forking out for a new laptop - and I'll have enough room to instal Windows 7.

I would recommend using Easeus Partition Manager to resize the partitions. I have done this hundreds of times in this exact situation with no issues.

It is still wise to back up any important data before going ahead with the resize though.

http://www.partition-tool.com/download.htm
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Senior Cit

A huge "Thank you" for all the helpful advice. I have now also checked out one of the "Similar Threads" listed below and found in the one on h/d space the following:
    "just a stab in the dark but check that xp hasn't created a pagefile on your 4gb drive. Search for a hidden file called pagefile.sys, it's usually around 500-600 mb's in size. If it's there you can go into advanced system properties and divert it to the other drive."
    So I checked my C drive contents and lo and behold! there is a pagefile.sys file of size 786 Mb. So I'll transfer it over to my D drive (again, I have saved it on to a DVD just in case!) However, I also note that there is another C drive file called "hiberfil.sys" of size 1.24 Gb!! Can I move that over to the D drive?

Don't move either of those files. Windows needs them where they are. hiberfil.sys is used by the hibernation, if you don't use hibernation then turn it off and you can remove the file. pagefile.sys is also a file windows needs. You can move this, but don't do it manually. Go into system, properties, advanced system settings, and performance. You can specify which drive to use for storing the page file on.
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."