Default Windows 98SE Hung Shutdown Problem After Network Cards Installed

After 18 months frustration trying to resolve my two home networked internet conection sharing PCs problem....hanging at 'PLEASE WAIT WHILE WINDOWS SHUTDOWN'....I found a Techies forum that advises that it is not really a problem at all.
    His suggestion is that at this stage Windows has completed the shutdown process and just can't quite get to the last bit. It is, he says, perfectly in order and quite harmless to power of the PC at the switch at this (hung) stage.
    I am not savvy enough to be confident that this advice is correct and would like to hear any opinions or experiences from any readers who have some expertise or direct experience.
    I can't quie believe that the problem that has haunted me and my PC supplier has such a simple workaround solution

Default Re: Windows 98SE Hung Shutdown Problem After Network Cards Installed

Microsoft has had a fix for the win98se shut-down hang almost since it was released.PC world (NZ) has even had it on the cover CD at one stage. Just a little EXE will fix all your probs..

Many thanks happy camper, but.........been there, tried that, and the other 2 million other fix it solutions!

:-)))

...some very clever and knowledgeable people offer suggestions and advice on this board (no, i'm not one of them) and I hope one of them is able to offer you a solution.

If none is forthcoming - might I suggest you search the Microsoft Newsgroups; a useful 'How To' tutorial is at this site:

http://www.zdnet.com/zdhelp/stories/...716274,00.html

No doubt you have already trawled the Microsoft Knowledge Base (?) - If not, the following article is a good place to start:

http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q202/6/33.ASP

Best of Luck !!!

e_

Hi Bill.
    Can you please provide the following information.

What Brand/Model of Network cards do you have ?

Are you using a UPS ?

What software do you have running in the background ? Ie Norton Antivirus, Norton Utilities etc.

What Brand/Model of video card you have. And if possable what verison are the drivers ?

Do you have a disk in the A: drive at the time of shutdown?

What settings do you have enabled in Power Managment. ?

Have you tried the Fix that Tristin reffered to in an eailer post. On Disabling fast shutdown in Windows 98. Refer to 'http://www.pcworld.co.nz/pcworld/pcwpressF1.nsf/MainThread?Openview&Selection=C5EB55448F1AB24FCC25 6A9200065955' ?

Jess

Thank you Jess for your interest in my problem....I have all but given up trying to find a solution to this shutdown problem and as a last resort am looking for verification that shutting off at the power switch during the hung phase will not destroy my PC.

Here are the details you ask for:
    both network cards are :
    D-Link DE-528CT

I am not using a UPS.

I have had Norton Antivirus installed for 3 weeks now....but the problem started 20 months ago on the day I installed and connected the network cards.

Task Scheduler and Works Calender are also running.

Video card:
    NVIDIA RIVA TNT2 ULTRA - the driver listed is: 4.12.01.0650

There are never disks left in A: drive at shutdown.

Power Management settings read:
    Power Scheme: Home/Office Desk

System Standby - after 20 mins

Turn off monitor - after 15 mins

Turn off hard disks - never

Fast shutdown is disabled

Hi Bill

Frustrating problems isn,t it.

I too had the same problem about two weeks ago,as soon as I put a NIC in my PC it would not shut down sometimes,but only sometimes.
    The only patch I installed was the harddrive patch and that seems to have worked so far.
    I think however that the techie is right that you can just switch it off safely,if the PC does not run scandisk when it starts up again it must have shut down enough.
    Windows dosen,t have a problem
    shutting down itself,just the computer hardware.

I have 2 more suggestions,go into control panel\networking and have a look at all the protocols and see if there are some there that aren,t needed,often when you install a nic ,the driver will install uneeded protocols that at the very least will cause your PC to hang a bit on boot up,with out knowing your system,it,s hard for me to know which protocols you don,t need but try removing NetBEUI-dialup adapter and
    IPX/SPX-dialup adapter,you will still need NetBEUI and IPX/SPX protocols of course,just not the dialup adapter part.
    Also find out if there is a Bios update for your m\b that may fix the problem.

Good luck

Thanks to boris and to e_name- all feedback is most welcome and very supportive.

I will certainly look at the suggestions offered.