Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Could MS be forced...

Just a thought or two here.

I have two laptops at home - one 6 year-old Acer with XP - goes just fine.
    Got a year-old HP with Vista Home Premium - 3gig ram, fast HD, discrete graphics, dual core CPU...not a celeron. What I'm getting at is the 'new' laptop is extremely well spec'd.
    But it runs like a dog and always has. My kids always go to the XP laptop first - they know it's much older, but they know it's much faster too.

I'd like to upgrade to Windows 7 as I've been testing it on an ancient tosh M3 with 512mb ram, 4200rpm HD, onboard graphics..it has a performance indicator of 1.0 and yet it goes faster than my high spec Vista laptop at home.

The upgrade price is what puts me off - $249? I have to pay to make my fast machine actually usable?

My point here is - could I take MS to the Small Claims Tribunal and state that Vista is not what they said, I feel like the product has not lived up to its claims (or whatever the terminology is), and I should at the every least be entitled to a free upgrade to 7?

Your thoughts on this would be interesting. Shoot me down in flames if you feel justified.

Default Re: Could MS be forced...

It's all a nice idea, but not worth it. Besides, it's not Vista that cripples notebooks, it's all the bloat that manufacturers put on there. I would back up data, do a fresh install or at least a system recovery, remove any bundled AV software and other bloat, get SP1 and SP2 on there and then install good AV software and your software. See how things go after doing that.

Do you have SP2 on there now? What AV software are you running?
    Microsoft: "You've got questions. We've got dancing paperclips."

Lost Cause

HP have probalby loaded the machine with heaps of useless crap. If you can getting your hands on a plain Vista CD, format the thing and only install the required drivers, nothing else from HP.

If not post a HJT log here so we can see what's running, make sure you've got the service packs, with those spec's you should be fine.

I doubt it, or it would have happened (already), to everyone else around the world as well. Yup get rid of trial programs, Symantec programs, any demos. Theyre bloated and not worth having. Theyre just a waste of space. Thats the good thing about a clean install. You dont get all the crap
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 21-10-2009 at 12:04 PM.

Re bloatware - the first thing I do is remove it all. Also disable firewire card, bluetooth etc etc etc. I am well versed in clearing out all the extra crud an dmaking sure nothing extra is running in the sys tray or in the background as a service.
    It is just slow. We have two remaning Vista desktops here at work - I am slowly pushing to get these taken back to Xp as they are just so slow. We have identical machines that run on XP and are fine.
    Not worried about posting a HJT log - I know what's in it, and it's extremely clean.

Have you tried dialing all the Vista eye-candy right back?

Got a natural pearl in my calloused hand
    ...Saved for the girl who could really understand
    ......What it takes to see
    .........The gold from the alchemy

Yup sure have!
    I realise that "doubt it, or it would have happened (already), to everyone else around the world as well" but I also know that here in NZ we have a pretty good CGA...and do you remember all the hype before/when Vista came out?? Can you genuinely and honestly agree that it is what they said it would be?

Well no. But it works fine here. It may work fine for some and not for others.

Why, I dont know. No I dont remember the hype when vista came out, because I wasnt using it. So, didnt bother about it. Because I didnt know how good or bad, or how fast or slow it was. I'm using it on a socket 754 system, I was surprised it was just as fast as XP. I havent had any probs with it, since I installed it
    Last edited by Speedy Gonzales; 21-10-2009 at 12:40 PM.

I'm surprised your Vista is running badly on that hardware as well. It runs fine on my desktop with AMD 3800+ and 2GB RAM. Although, I do admit that my 3800 is cranked up to 2.4GHz.

Try this program, says it removes all the bloatware

http://pcdecrapifier.com/