Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Backup program

Just noticed that Easeus, the guys who created that partition tool have made a new backup program

http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/

I've been trialling it for a week and it provides an extensive number of features for a free backup program, even a clone tool and the ability to mount images like in DriveImageXML which is useful when you only need to restore a file or two.

This could be a decent, easy to use free backup solution that could satisfy most users!

Cheers
    Blam

Default Re: New Backup program

Just what I need, I ditched WHS on ther server and installed windows 7 (its now acting as an HTPC as well now) so this will sort my backups easy peasy

Quote Originally Posted by hueybot3000 View Post
    Just what I need, I ditched WHS on ther server and installed windows 7 (its now acting as an HTPC as well now) so this will sort my backups easy peasy
    Try out the inuilt W7 tool too, its simple but it might just be enough for your needs

I havent looked at it before, can it image? I would like to image my web related folder once a week or so and have a copy on the server and burnt on dvd

Yep. It can image all right.

Does incrementals too, which AFAIK Easeus's backup program doesn't

So what your saying is that, Microsoft, have actually made something that offers more features than a 3rd party programme?

VoidMaster

Haven't tried this but I trust this site:

http://cybernetnews.com/backup-changed-files/
    It's not the least charm of a theory that it is refutable. The hundred-times-refuted theory of "free will" owes its persistence to this charm alone; some one is always appearing who feels himself strong enough to refute it - Friedrich Nietzsche

We're getting a bit spoiled for choice with freebie backup progs.

Is Todo any different in features from Macrium? I thought Macrium looked good and then you throw another one up, Blam!!

Macrium is good but Todo offers many more features.

I'll list the differences in my next post

That will be good - also please list the features that actually work - just tried it on two different PC's-- TOTAL failure.

Any back up software these days needs the ability to make a complete backup of the whole hard drive, programs, OS the lot, not just the files / folders you want containing data.

Using the program - set the backup to make a complete system backup to a LAN location, other PC was to a removable hard drive. Both went through the process of making the back ups - I then made images of the original working drive(s) using acronis.

Wiped both drives to simulate a hard drive failure ( Replacement) -- both went through the process of putting back the back up, BOTH failed to boot afterwards - a repair of the startup didn't do any good, couldn't even find anything to repair. Even the Windows 7 DVD couldn't see the backed up image - as far as it was concerned the drive was blank.

Cloned back the original using Acronis - worked perfectly.

Also I cant see anywhere there is to do scheduled AUTOMATIC backups - this is a MUST - generally people are lazy and if have to do it manually they wont.

hueybot3000:
    So what your saying is that, Microsoft, have actually made something that offers more features than a 3rd party programme?
    The backup in Windows 7 is basically the same sort of arrangement that WHS uses, but its not as automatic as WHS - you still have to set it up manually, other than that it DOES work perfectly. It can be scheduled, and you can select what files to back up if you wish & to different Locations , Eg: LAN device, removable HDD etc.

MS back up works -- Easeus
    Last edited by wainuitech; 22-08-2009 at 12:41 PM.